[Advisors] RE: [Advisors] FW: New discussion Indus try Leaders Take ŒInnovation Nation¹ to the Hill: Call for community guidance on how to improve Canada's innovation eco-system

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Tue, 8 Nov 2011 10:11:50 -0800

On 2011-11-08, at 7:44 AM, Gary Kenward wrote:
…….. is it not paramount that the focus for telecommunities be on the goals for social change and not on the concrete technology?

Not entirely … because of your second point (although I don't see it as negative):

>     -  The negative aside, I agree that technology is a continuum of =
events coupled so tightly with social development that separating cause and effect is probably irrelevant and arguably counter productive. So, in terms of “community internet access and services” or “telecommunities” or “community informatics” ( I do like Michael’s terminology), what is the technology?

That "coupled so tightly" means that we have to seek out the stewards of community-based uses of ICTs and support them as whatever they are using evolves.  At one time, TC used to say, "It's the people that are the network, not the technology."

GG