[Advisors] Fwd: [ISOC] NEWS RELEASE: Internet Society Board of Trustees Expresses Concern about the Potential Impact of the World Conference on International Telecommunications on the Internet

Gary W Kenward garykenward at eastlink.ca
Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:02:07 -0300

--Apple-Mail=_7261677A-F06F-4CC2-AF1C-F5B27D7A622B

If there was ever a real threat to the Global Internet, this is it. The =
Telecom sector, and the ITU-T, have failed at every attempt to deploy =
accessible, low cost data access to the consumer. The emphasis on =
compliance to ITU-T standards compliance will kill the open and =
innovative nature of the Internet fostered by the current Internet =
standards body, the IETF.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: cover@isoc.org
> Subject: [ISOC] NEWS RELEASE: Internet Society Board of Trustees =
Expresses Concern about the Potential Impact of the World Conference on	=
International Telecommunications on the Internet
> Date: 7 August, 2012 10:40:02 AM ADT
> To: isoc-members-announce@elists.isoc.org
>=20
> Internet Society Board of Trustees Expresses Concern about the =
Potential Impact of the World Conference on International =
Telecommunications on the Internet
>=20
> [Washington, D.C. and Geneva, Switzerland =96 07 August 2012] =96 The =
Internet Society Board of Trustees, during its recent meeting in =
Vancouver, Canada, discussed the upcoming World Conference on =
International Telecommunications (WCIT) and expressed concern that some =
proposed changes to the International Telecommunication Regulations =
(ITRs) Treaty could have a negative impact on the Internet.  =20
>=20
> Eva Fr=F6lich, Chair of the Internet Society Board of Trustees, =
remarked, =93The Internet Society believes that the International =
Telecommunication Regulations should contain high level principles and =
that revisions should focus on things that have clearly worked in the =
field of global communications: competition, privatization, and =
transparent and independent regulation.  It is our sincere hope that =
revisions to the ITRs will not interfere with the continued innovation =
and evolution of telecommunications networks and the Internet.=94=20
>=20
> The Board noted that the success of the Internet has been driven by =
open, consensus-based standards processes embodied in organizations such =
as the Internet Engineering Task Force and other critical parts of the =
Internet ecosystem that rely on openness and transparency. =20
>=20
> The Internet Society Board of Trustees highlighted concerns about =
certain changes to the ITRs, which it found troubling.  Among other =
things, these proposals would:
> * Make ITU-T standards mandatory;=20
> * Create a new model for Internet interconnection via the ITRs;=20
> * Adversely impact Internet naming, numbering, and addressing;
> * Regulate network aspects that have never been part of =
telecommunications, including IP routing; and,
> * Extend the scope and application of the ITRs to the Internet and =
Internet providers.
>=20
> The Board is of the view that these types of provisions, if adopted, =
could jeopardize global connectivity and the future growth of the =
Internet, particularly in developing countries; impact the architecture, =
security, and global interoperability of the Internet; and impose =
detrimental burdens on the free and open Internet that billions of =
people around the world depend upon today. =20
>=20
> Recognizing that developing countries face challenges in building =
Internet infrastructure and in bringing down connectivity costs, the =
Board of Trustees emphasized the Internet Society=92s commitment to =
helping these countries overcome those challenges in ways that support =
global interoperability and the free flow of information, such as via =
the development of Internet Exchange Points to improve Internet =
performance and drive down Internet connectivity costs.
>=20
> The Internet Society is a strong proponent of the open, =
consensus-based, multistakeholder model for standards setting and =
Internet policy development.  =93Transparency and the multistakeholder =
model are essential to developing sustainable and effective Internet =
public policy,=94 said Internet Society President and Chief Executive =
Officer, Lynn St. Amour.=20
>=20
> The Internet Society Board of Trustees called on governments not to =
adopt changes to the ITRs that would undermine the security, stability, =
and innovative potential of networks worldwide. In preparing for the =
WCIT, the Board urged all governments to engage in an open and =
participatory national dialogue, and encouraged Internet Society members =
to contribute actively to these national discussions that have a global =
impact.
>=20
> For more information on WCIT, visit http://internetsociety.org/wcit.
>=20
> Link: =
http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-society-board-trustees-expres=
ses-concern-about-potential-impact-world-conference
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_7261677A-F06F-4CC2-AF1C-F5B27D7A622B

charset=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">If =
there was ever a real threat to the Global Internet, this is it. The =
Telecom sector, and the ITU-T, have failed at every attempt to deploy =
accessible, low cost data access to the consumer. The emphasis on =
compliance to ITU-T standards compliance will kill the open and =
innovative nature of the Internet fostered by the current Internet =
message:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;"><span =
style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; font-size:medium; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, =
font-size:medium;"><a =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px;"><span style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; =
font-size:medium; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, 1.0);"><b>Subject: =
</b></span><span style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; =
font-size:medium;"><b>[ISOC] NEWS RELEASE: Internet Society Board of =
Trustees Expresses Concern about the Potential Impact of the World =
Conference on	International Telecommunications on the =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px;"><span =
style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; font-size:medium; color:rgba(0, 0, 0, =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px;"><span style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; =
style=3D"font-family:'Helvetica'; font-size:medium;"><a =
href=3D"mailto:isoc-members-announce@elists.isoc.org">isoc-members-announc=
Trustees Expresses Concern about the Potential Impact of the World =
Conference on International Telecommunications on the =
Internet<br><br>[Washington, D.C. and Geneva, Switzerland =96 07 August =
2012] =96 The Internet Society Board of Trustees, during its recent =
meeting in Vancouver, Canada, discussed the upcoming World Conference on =
International Telecommunications (WCIT) and expressed concern that some =
proposed changes to the International Telecommunication Regulations =
(ITRs) Treaty could have a negative impact on the Internet. =
&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Eva Fr=F6lich, Chair of the Internet Society Board =
of Trustees, remarked, =93The Internet Society believes that the =
International Telecommunication Regulations should contain high level =
principles and that revisions should focus on things that have clearly =
worked in the field of global communications: competition, =
privatization, and transparent and independent regulation. &nbsp;It is =
our sincere hope that revisions to the ITRs will not interfere with the =
continued innovation and evolution of telecommunications networks and =
the Internet.=94 <br><br>The Board noted that the success of the =
Internet has been driven by open, consensus-based standards processes =
embodied in organizations such as the Internet Engineering Task Force =
and other critical parts of the Internet ecosystem that rely on openness =
and transparency. &nbsp;<br><br>The Internet Society Board of Trustees =
highlighted concerns about certain changes to the ITRs, which it found =
troubling. &nbsp;Among other things, these proposals would:<br>* Make =
ITU-T standards mandatory; <br>* Create a new model for Internet =
interconnection via the ITRs; <br>* Adversely impact Internet naming, =
numbering, and addressing;<br>* Regulate network aspects that have never =
been part of telecommunications, including IP routing; and,<br>* Extend =
the scope and application of the ITRs to the Internet and Internet =
providers.<br><br>The Board is of the view that these types of =
provisions, if adopted, could jeopardize global connectivity and the =
future growth of the Internet, particularly in developing countries; =
impact the architecture, security, and global interoperability of the =
Internet; and impose detrimental burdens on the free and open Internet =
that billions of people around the world depend upon today. =
&nbsp;<br><br>Recognizing that developing countries face challenges in =
building Internet infrastructure and in bringing down connectivity =
costs, the Board of Trustees emphasized the Internet Society=92s =
commitment to helping these countries overcome those challenges in ways =
that support global interoperability and the free flow of information, =
such as via the development of Internet Exchange Points to improve =
Internet performance and drive down Internet connectivity =
costs.<br><br>The Internet Society is a strong proponent of the open, =
consensus-based, multistakeholder model for standards setting and =
Internet policy development. &nbsp;=93Transparency and the =
multistakeholder model are essential to developing sustainable and =
effective Internet public policy,=94 said Internet Society President and =
Chief Executive Officer, Lynn St. Amour. <br><br>The Internet Society =
Board of Trustees called on governments not to adopt changes to the ITRs =
that would undermine the security, stability, and innovative potential =
of networks worldwide. In preparing for the WCIT, the Board urged all =
governments to engage in an open and participatory national dialogue, =
and encouraged Internet Society members to contribute actively to these =
national discussions that have a global impact.<br><br>For more =
information on WCIT, visit <a =
href=3D"http://internetsociety.org/wcit">http://internetsociety.org/wcit</=
a>.<br><br>Link: <a =
href=3D"http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-society-board-trustee=
s-expresses-concern-about-potential-impact-world-conference">http://www.in=
ternetsociety.org/news/internet-society-board-trustees-expresses-concern-a=