[Advisors] CIRA elections and msg to Kevin

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:11:21 -0400

--------------060704060707000405090001

Hello all.  The member candidates list for the CIRA elections has now
been posted ( https://elections.cira.ca/2012/membernominees/list/en ) --
and, oh boy, it's full of much higher profile people than last year --
not the least of which -- Michael Geist! -- whose proposals, of course,
are excellent. If I was a betting person, I'd say Geist (who has already
been a 2 term director) will win handily without our support.

I think it is still in our benefit to support Kevin who will still have
a lot of supporters following him from the last round.  I think of it as
preparing the ground for the next round.  I have prepared the following
from the suggestions provided on the list re: this topic.  Please let me
know if this reflects, in a bare bones fashion (cause there is no point
in getting too detailed) the essence of that discussion.

Message to Kevin re: platform suggestions for CIRA elections

Participants in the Canadian Internet Forum expressed that need to
explore and articulate the public interest in the future development and
use of the Internet in Canada. In order to do this, CIRA must move
beyond its traditional role of supporting the technical and commercial
well-being of the Internet in Canada. It will require a reconsideration
of its institutional design and processes. This should begin with /a
full and open examination of how such a public resource is managed in
other jurisdictions. /

Since it currently manages a substantial public resource, CIRA should
use more of these resources to pro-actively support communities
attempting to optimize the economic and social utility of networks. For
example, CIRA could /champion community owned broadband initiatives/ as
a way to engage with communities who are actively seeking to control
their communications resources. There are a number of communities that
have already taken on this role and others that are seeking to do so.
CIRA should /provide a forum for discussion of such activities and
assistance in helping them implement their goals./

CIRA should also earmark more of the surplus from domain name
registration fees, etc. to /support community based digital literacy
programs/. Given that many community access sites have been abandoned by
the recent cancellation of the federal Community Access Program and are
struggling to survive, CIRA could /investigate ways to reestablish
support for this inexpensive but hugely effective community program /

(1)
http://cira.ca/assets/Documents/Publications/wp-InternetCIF-CanadaFuture.pdf

Marita

--------------060704060707000405090001

<head>

</head>
Hello all.&nbsp; The member candidates list for the CIRA elections has now
been posted ( <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://elections.cira.ca/2012/membernominees/list/en">https://elections.cira.ca/2012/membernominees/list/en</a> )
-- and, oh boy, it's full of much higher profile people than last year
-- not the least of which -- Michael Geist! -- whose proposals, of
course, are excellent. If I was a betting person, I'd say Geist (who
has already been a 2 term director) will win handily without our
support.&nbsp; <br>
I think it is still in our benefit to support Kevin who will still have
a lot of supporters following him from the last round.&nbsp; I think of it
as preparing the ground for the next round.&nbsp; I have prepared the
following from the suggestions provided on the list re: this topic.&nbsp;
Please let me know if this reflects, in a bare bones fashion (cause
there is no point in getting too detailed) the essence of that
discussion.<br>
<title></title>
	<!--
		@page { margin: 0.79in }
		P { margin-bottom: 0.08in }
		A:link { so-language: zxx }
	-->
Kevin re: platform suggestions for CIRA elections</font></p>
<title></title>
	<!--
		@page { margin: 0.79in }
		P { margin-bottom: 0.08in }
		A:link { so-language: zxx }
	-->
in
the Canadian Internet Forum expressed that need to explore and
articulate the public interest in the future development and use of
the Internet in Canada. In order to do this, CIRA must move beyond
its traditional role of supporting the technical and commercial
well-being of the Internet in Canada. It will require a
reconsideration of its institutional design and processes. This
full and open examination of how such a public resource is managed in
other jurisdictions. </i></font>
it
currently manages a substantial public resource, CIRA should use
more of these resources to pro-actively support communities
attempting to optimize the economic and social utility of networks. For
community
owned broadband initiatives</i></font><font
 face="Times New Roman, serif">
as a way to engage with communities who are actively seeking to
control their communications resources. There are a number of
communities that have already taken on this role and others that are
seeking to do so. CIRA should </font><font
 face="Times New Roman, serif"><i>provide
a forum for discussion of such activities and assistance in helping
 size="3">CIRA
should also earmark more of the surplus from domain name registration
 size="3"><i>support
 face="Times New Roman, serif"><font size="3"><span
 style="font-style: normal;">
Given that many community access sites have been abandoned by the
recent cancellation of the federal Community Access Program and are
 face="Times New Roman, serif"><font size="3"><i>investigate
ways to reestablish support for this inexpensive but hugely effective
<a
 href="http://cira.ca/assets/Documents/Publications/wp-InternetCIF-CanadaFuture.pdf">http://cira.ca/assets/Documents/Publications/wp-InternetCIF-CanadaFuture.pdf</a>
<title></title>
	<!--
		@page { margin: 0.79in }
		PRE.cjk { font-family: "NSimSun", monospace }
		P { margin-bottom: 0.08in }
		A:link { so-language: zxx }
	--></style><br>

--------------060704060707000405090001--