[Advisors] CAP futures workshop -- BC summit

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Mon, 9 Jan 2012 13:33:12 -0800

On 2012-01-08, at 4:26 PM, James Van Leeuwen wrote:
This might be a better title:  Advancing Community Access in Canada: =
Towards a Better Strategy

There's more in that title than the content of a workshop.  On the =
subject of re-branding CAP "to take the current political climate into =
account," James is pointing to a really good tag - Community Access.  =
TC.CA =3D TC is about Community Access.  Using phrases like "digital =
inclusion," (as I have been doing!) with its social program =
connotations, is likely to cause a federal reaction similar to waving a =
national energy policy in front of an Albertan.  But there's nothing to =
stop us appropriating the language of a federally initiated and now =
abandoned program, and then remaking it in our own image.  Because of =
anchoring the brand in the idea of community, we also take back high =
ground appropriated by agencies like CATA, which refers to community =
without much substance.  And "Community Access" fully encompasses TC's =
original and still active broader mandate to share the practices of =
community-networking and community development online. =20

GG=