[Advisors] A Role for Communities in a National Digital Strategy

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:58:01 -0800

 =20
As I mentioned, I've proposed and had accepted a panel discussion at the
"ICT Summit" http://www.ictsummit.ca/ here in Vancouver Feb. 23-25 as =
per
the topic and abstract below.  I'm wondering who from TC might be =
interested
and available to take part. (I'm thinking Garth but I'm open to
volunteers/suggestions).

My intention with the panel is that it (in theory) provide in-put into =
the
Canadian Digital Strategy if and when it ever emerges but in any case I
would hope that the panel would raise some issues and inform some =
people.

(My travel arrangements are getting a bit clearer and it now seems that =
will be able to be at the Summit for the first two days and will likely =
only
be starting travel sometime on Feb. 25.

Comments/suggestions...

Mike =20

Towards a role for Communities in a National Digital Strategy

Canada almost alone among its OECD colleagues has yet to make available =
national digital strategy indicating the broad framwork for the =
universal
access to Broadband among other issues. Whil(e others have articulated =
how
such a strategy might support industrial and business initiatives there
remains the need to ensure that local communities including those in =
rural
and remote Canada are in a position to benefit from digital =
developments.
This panel will discuss the role that geographical communities and
particularly indigenous and rural and remote communities can most
effectively participate in and benefit from national digital strategy =
and a
plan for universal broadband access.