[Advisors] US Ignite

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:33:11 -0400

Thanks for that and interesting comments from Mike Hrybak...

I can see his point but I also think it is something of a cop out.

I've written and said this elsewhere but Canada has been up until fairly
recent times a very significant global innovator in
communications/telecommunications.  A.G. Bell may have been a bit of an
outlier but the early satellites and microwave responding to the demands =
of
a very large and underpopulated country, the work of the CRC and BNR =
around
fibre-optics, Teledon and so on all were an inter-twining of specific
geographically determined need with pro-active government policy and =
funding
response.

Arguably (and I've argued) that government funded community based =
community
informatics responses to various exigencies has been Canada's most =
notable
contribution in ICT innovation and the collapse of funding for this is a
specifically political decision to destroy (or at least not develop) an =
area
where Canada could usefully for itself and globally be an innovator. It
doesn't fit into the current neo-liberal agendas of either the latter =
day
Libs or Harper and his gang but that isn't because a few computer =
boffins in
Canada haven't been up to snuff.