[Advisors] "Xplornet is solving the broadband access divide in rural Canada"

Brian Beaton brianbeaton at knet.ca
Sun, 17 Jun 2012 20:06:03 -0500

Thanks for the update James ... After having to use Xplornet in my home
paying $200/month for their KABOOM service (the maximum available) ... I am
SO HAPPY to report that the regional 3G cellular service began selling
Rogers' Rocket hubs at $35 a month so I no longer require the TERRIBLE
Xplornet service. Any one who pushes Xplornet for rural applications beyond
a very basic (and frustrating) home use needs to have their head examined.
The other questions I would ask the xplornet saleman would include:

* Does he and his company only use Xplornet connections for their offices?
Is he using an Xplornet dish at his home? Where does he live? What
experience does he have with trying to operate a business using an xplornet
dish?

* How many Rural Broadband programs did Xplornet apply for? How many did
they get? What other publicly funded programs did Xplornet apply over the
years?
- They lobbied for all the public dollars claiming to be able to take care
of everyone across the country.

If you want examples of how communities are doing it for themselves, be sure
to check out http://firstmile.ca ... Lots of great stories and examples of
small First Nations in remote and rural locations across Canada building,
owning and controlling their communication utility for their  members ...

Brian Beaton, KO-KNET Coordinator
Box 1439, 115 King Street, Sioux Lookout, ON, P8T 1B9
T: 807-737-1135 or toll-free 877-737-KNET (5638) ext 1251
C: 807-216-5216
F: 807-737-1720
E: brian.beaton@knet.ca
W: http://knet.ca