[Advisors] Re: [BCC-list] Competitors blast exclusive Telus deal

Gary Kenward GaryKenward at eastlink.ca
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:34:24 -0300

--B_3414504865_2016691

Just a passing thought:

While I do believe that Canada needs a better strategy, I do not think the
comparison with the US helps the case.

The evolution of digital services in the US is driven by (the US version) o=
free market capitalism. Service rates =AD whether long hall, or cellular, or
Internet access, and so on =AD are generally lower because the US has roughly
10x the population in an area that, overall, is smaller then Canada. When
you have three or four big operators competing for the same 11 million
subscribers in NY, prices will go down. Competition for the 350,000 Halifax
residents exists, but it=B9s roughly the same number of operators and few
customers. And the infrastructure costs per sq km are fixed.

Note also that there are very few small operators left in the US. The
consolidation of service providers has been the growing trend in the US for
the last decade (actually, pretty well the trend world wide).

Canada has always had to use public money to subsidize country wide
services, from transportation to communications. This has always been a
social policy, not a market policy.
>From what I see, social policies do not fith well with Harper=B9s ideology.
There is a finite pot of public money and many, many issues. Harper=B9s
government appears to have different priorities.

It might be a better comparison to look at a developed country that has a
similar economy and social policy structure (I=B9ll let the experts figure ou=
what country that might be).

Cheers,
Gary

On 12.03.13 3:47 PM, "James Van Leeuwen" <jvl@ventus.ca> wrote:

>=20
> Senior government in Canada is paralyzed for lack of effective strategic
> capacity. This will not change under Harper.
>=20
> The most glaring symptom of the condition is that we still don't have a
> national digital strategy.
>=20
>=20
> Provincial 'strategies' are being developed around incumbents as we now s=
ee in
> BC.
>=20
> The Government of New Brunswick has done a much better job of leveraging =
Bell
> [...]
>=20
> On 2012-03-13, at 9:15 AM, Garth Graham wrote:
>=20
>> FYI.  If those of you using broadband for community development have bee=
>> feeling a bit lonely after the latest Telus Agreement, some strange alli=
es
>> may have just showed up!
>>=20
>>> Rob Shaw. Competitors blast exclusive Telus deal: In world of technolog=
y, 10
>>> years is a 'lifetime,' Rogers tells government. Times Colonist March 13=
,
>>> 2012
>>> Read more:=20
>>> http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Competitors+blast+exclusive+Telus+dea=
l/629
>>> 3115/story.html#ixzz1p0NZzXu4
>>>=20
>>> Canada's biggest telecommunications companies have blasted the B.C.
>>> government for a $1-billion deal with Telus Corp. that they say is unfa=
ir
>>> and won't give taxpayers the best value for money.
>>>=20
>>> Shaw Communications Inc., Bell Canada, Rogers Communications Inc. and f=
ive
>>> regional communications companies sharply criticized the government for
>>> signing a 10-year deal with Telus to provide long-distance, voice, data=
 and
>>> cellular services to the provincial government, six regional health
>>> authorities and four Crown corporations.
>>>=20
>>> The province announced its intention to contract with Telus last June a=
nd
>>> moved ahead with the deal despite the opposition, according to document=
s the
>>> government released publicly on the weekend.
>>>=20
>>> Rogers went so far as to hire an Ottawa-based international trade lawye=
r,
>>> who wrote the deal was "a flawed process that borders on abuse."
>>>=20
>>> "In the world of technology, 10 years is a lifetime, and it is hard to
>>> fathom how the government can anticipate their future telecommunication=
>>> needs and expect to meet them through one company," wrote Rogers
>>> senior-vice-president David Miller in an accompanying letter.
>>>=20
>>> "And the issue of price is paramount - how, with a sole-source contract=
, can
>>> the government effectively benchmark the prices that it obtains from Te=
lus?"
>>>=20
>>> The companies took particular aim at the process.
>>>=20
>>> B.C. had been looking to secure a new wireless contract since 2008. It =
put
>>> out a request for proposals on nine service bundles and said Telus won =
all
>>> nine. The government then expanded the scope of the deal to include rur=
al
>>> service improvements and announced a direct contract in 2011 under the
>>> rationale that only Telus could meet the province's stated needs.
>>>=20
>>> Telus promised to upgrade high-speed Internet connections to 450 school=
s -
>>> 79 on Vancouver Island - expand cell coverage to dead zones, such as th=
>>> highway from Port Alberni to Tofino, and boost Internet bandwidth in 11=
9
>>> communities.
>>>=20
>>> The other companies weren't aware they could put together offers on exp=
anded
>>> services and were excluded from making such bids, Bell Canada complaine=
d in
>>> its letter. B.C. "violated its obligation to keep the tendering process=
 fair
>>> and equitable" with the deal, wrote Mario Belanger, senior vice-preside=
nt of
>>> sales.
>>>=20
>>> Shaw noted "technology has evolved significantly and price structures
>>> changed dramatically" in the time it took the government to sign its Te=
lus
>>> deal.
>>>=20
>>> The government has said it stands to save as much as $400 million over =
the
>>> 10-year-deal by bundling all its services with Telus, which is also cre=
ating
> [...]
>>> 3115/story.html#ixzz1p0NwobRE
>>=20
>> My own question about this particular  "market-based" approach to broadb=
and
>> infrastructure development in BC isn't about procurement rules or bid
>> process.  It's  this - in a digital economy, if you "outsource" to the
>> private sector all of the capacity in government to understand the uses =
of
>> networked connectivity for the electronic delivery of government service=
s,
>> who is left to meet  government's inherent responsibility to link
>> connectivity and community development?  My experience with government
>> practices of using outsourcing to downsize itself, for example in health=
,
>> social services or environmental regulation, is that the people who
>> understand the public policy dimensions of that sector are then let go, =
and
>> government effectiveness as an actor in the sector disappears.  Less
>> government almost always results in less effective governance, leaving t=
he
>> little guys and the big guys to sort it out on their own.
>>=20
>> I'm not rejecting public-private partnerships where the capacity of
>> governments to exercise their responsibility to balance the system of
>> services remains intact.  But it remains my own faith that societies tha=
>> recognize the importance of community in the structure of a digital econ=
omy
>> will do far better at adapting to it than those who do not.  For the nex=
t ten
>> years, because of a political priority to downsize government by outsour=
cing
>> network services for the electronic delivery of government services, Tel=
us
>> now owns essential components of BC capacity to address the uses of ICTs=
 for
>> development =AD community development online.  Bottom line is that Telus n=
ow
>> dominates the transport channels for the networked delivery of governmen=
>> services. Long term, the question I think needs to be asked is =AD do we w=
ant
>> them the dominate governance?  Who elected them?
>>=20
>> GG
>> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>> For list archives and subscription/unsubscription settings visit:
>>  http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/broadbandcommunitychampions-li=
st
>>=20
>> To Unsubscribe from this list :
>> Send an email to SYMPA@vancouvercommunity.net with the subject line as
>> follows:
>>  UNSUBSCRIBE broadbandcommunitychampions-list

Gary Kenward

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL

--B_3414504865_2016691

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Advisors] Re: [BCC-list] Competitors blast exclusive Telus deal=
</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt=
'>Just a passing thought:<BR>
<BR>
While I do believe that Canada needs a better strategy, I do not think the =
comparison with the US helps the case.<BR>
<BR>
The evolution of digital services in the US is driven by (the US version) o=
f free market capitalism. Service rates &#8211; whether long hall, or cellul=
ar, or Internet access, and so on &#8211; are generally lower because the US=
 has roughly 10x the population in an area that, overall, is smaller then Ca=
nada. When you have three or four big operators competing for the same 11 mi=
llion subscribers in NY, prices will go down. Competition for the 350,000 Ha=
lifax residents exists, but it&#8217;s roughly the same number of operators =
and few customers. And the infrastructure costs per sq km are fixed.<BR>
<BR>
Note also that there are very few small operators left in the US. The conso=
lidation of service providers has been the growing trend in the US for the l=
ast decade (actually, pretty well the trend world wide).<BR>
<BR>
Canada has always had to use public money to subsidize country wide service=
s, from transportation to communications. This has always been a social poli=
cy, not a market policy. <BR>
>From what I see, social policies do not fith well with Harper&#8217;s ideol=
ogy. There is a finite pot of public money and many, many issues. Harper&#82=
17;s government appears to have different priorities. <BR>
<BR>
It might be a better comparison to look at a developed country that has a s=
imilar economy and social policy structure (I&#8217;ll let the experts figur=
e out what country that might be).<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Gary<BR>
<BR>
On 12.03.13 3:47 PM, &quot;James Van Leeuwen&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"jvl@ventus.=
ca">jvl@ventus.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><=
SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><BR>
Senior government in Canada is paralyzed for lack of effective strategic ca=
pacity. This will not change under Harper. <BR>
<BR>
The most glaring symptom of the condition is that we still don't have a nat=
ional digital strategy.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Provincial 'strategies' are being developed around incumbents as we now see=
 in BC.<BR>
<BR>
The Government of New Brunswick has done a much better job of leveraging Be=
ll Alliant, but it's a different company from Telus or Bell... more progress=
ive and strategic.<BR>
<BR>
The Government of Saskatchewan has handed the ballgame to SaskTel (at least=
 it's crown owned). <BR>
<BR>
The Government of Alberta built the SuperNet, then walked away from it to l=
et market forces drive last-mile solutions for rural communities.<BR>
<BR>
Mobility operators are steadily gobbling up the juiciest markets and leavin=
g WISPs to fight over the scraps.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
The upshot of all this is that digital governance in Canada is developing a=
t the community level, and this trend will strengthen.<BR>
<BR>
It will become a key issue by the next federal election, and it will cast t=
he Conservatives in an awkward light.<BR>
<BR>
Their hands-off policy of less intervention in Canada's telecom industry wi=
ll finally be challenged as a liability to Canada's strategic positioning in=
 the global economy.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
What else is there to say when wholesale bandwidth costs in the U.S. are le=
ss than 10% of ours?<BR>
<BR>
Or when retail bandwidth costs are less than 1% of ours?<BR>
<BR>
or-80-the-unlikely-success-of-californias-sonicnet.ars?utm_source=3DArs+Techni=
ca+Newsletter&amp;utm_campaign=3D2ab84ded98-September_02_2011_Newsletter&amp;u=
tm_medium=3Demail">http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/02/gigabit-int=
ernet-for-80-the-unlikely-success-of-californias-sonicnet.ars?utm_source=3DArs=
+Technica+Newsletter&amp;utm_campaign=3D2ab84ded98-September_02_2011_Newslette=
r&amp;utm_medium=3Demail</a><BR>
<BR>
The trend in the U.S. is now towards greater government and regulatory inte=
rvention in the telecom industry, because of strategic objectives and politi=
cal pressure from grass roots.<BR>
<BR>
Some recent commentary in Bloomberg from a highly respected source:<BR>
<BR>
ed-internet-service-commentary-by-susan-crawford.html">http://www.bloomberg.=
com/news/2012-02-15/the-case-for-publicly-owned-internet-service-commentary-=
by-susan-crawford.html</a><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Canada is being left behind for lack of effective strategic leadership. <BR=

<BR>
This is what happens after two consecutive generations of easy prosperity b=
ased on exporting natural resources. <BR>
<BR>
We've grown dangerously complacent. <BR>
<BR>
As an Albertan with strong ties to the oil and gas industry, Harper could b=
e the worst possible leader for our times. <BR>
<BR>
He and most other western political leaders are banking on Alberta's oil ri=
ches to carry the Canadian economy under a business-as-usual scenario, i.e.,=
 rip it and ship it. <BR>
<BR>
What do you think they care about more... oil pipelines or data pipelines?<=

<BR>
<BR>
For now, there is only one solution for meaningful progress, and that is co=
mmunity governance and (ideally) regional collaboration.<BR>
<BR>
Here is what it looks like in Eastern Ontario:<BR>
<BR>
www.eorn.ca &lt;<a href=3D"http://www.eorn.ca/">http://www.eorn.ca/</a>&gt; <=

<BR>
<BR>
JvL<BR>
<BR>
<I>&#8220;Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens =
can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.&#8221; [Mea=
d]<BR>
</I><BR>
On 2012-03-13, at 9:15 AM, Garth Graham wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><=
SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'>FYI. &nbsp;If those of you using broadband for c=
ommunity development have been feeling a bit lonely after the latest Telus A=
greement, some strange allies may have just showed up!<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><=
SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'>Rob Shaw. Competitors blast exclusive Telus deal=
: In world of technology, 10 years is a 'lifetime,' Rogers tells government.=
 Times Colonist March 13, 2012<BR>
Read more: <a href=3D"http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Competitors+blast+exc=
lusive+Telus+deal/6293115/story.html#ixzz1p0NZzXu4">http://www.timescolonist=
.com/news/Competitors+blast+exclusive+Telus+deal/6293115/story.html#ixzz1p0N=
ZzXu4</a><BR>
<BR>
Canada's biggest telecommunications companies have blasted the B.C. governm=
ent for a $1-billion deal with Telus Corp. that they say is unfair and won't=
 give taxpayers the best value for money.<BR>
<BR>
Shaw Communications Inc., Bell Canada, Rogers Communications Inc. and five =
regional communications companies sharply criticized the government for sign=
ing a 10-year deal with Telus to provide long-distance, voice, data and cell=
ular services to the provincial government, six regional health authorities =
and four Crown corporations.<BR>
<BR>
The province announced its intention to contract with Telus last June and m=
oved ahead with the deal despite the opposition, according to documents the =
government released publicly on the weekend.<BR>
<BR>
Rogers went so far as to hire an Ottawa-based international trade lawyer, w=
ho wrote the deal was &quot;a flawed process that borders on abuse.&quot;<BR=

<BR>
&quot;In the world of technology, 10 years is a lifetime, and it is hard to=
 fathom how the government can anticipate their future telecommunications ne=
eds and expect to meet them through one company,&quot; wrote Rogers senior-v=
ice-president David Miller in an accompanying letter.<BR>
<BR>
&quot;And the issue of price is paramount - how, with a sole-source contrac=
t, can the government effectively benchmark the prices that it obtains from =
Telus?&quot;<BR>
<BR>
The companies took particular aim at the process.<BR>
<BR>
B.C. had been looking to secure a new wireless contract since 2008. It put =
out a request for proposals on nine service bundles and said Telus won all n=
ine. The government then expanded the scope of the deal to include rural ser=
vice improvements and announced a direct contract in 2011 under the rational=
e that only Telus could meet the province's stated needs.<BR>
<BR>
Telus promised to upgrade high-speed Internet connections to 450 schools - =
79 on Vancouver Island - expand cell coverage to dead zones, such as the hig=
hway from Port Alberni to Tofino, and boost Internet bandwidth in 119 commun=
ities.<BR>
<BR>
The other companies weren't aware they could put together offers on expande=
d services and were excluded from making such bids, Bell Canada complained i=
n its letter. B.C. &quot;violated its obligation to keep the tendering proce=
ss fair and equitable&quot; with the deal, wrote Mario Belanger, senior vice=
-president of sales.<BR>
<BR>
Shaw noted &quot;technology has evolved significantly and price structures =
changed dramatically&quot; in the time it took the government to sign its Te=
lus deal.<BR>
<BR>
The government has said it stands to save as much as $400 million over the =
10-year-deal by bundling all its services with Telus, which is also creating=
 an $80-million improvement fund.<BR>
<BR>
&quot;None of [the companies] were able to do it better, faster or cheaper =
than Telus could do,&quot; said Labour, Citizens' Services and Open Governme=
nt Minister Margaret MacDiarmid. MacDiarmid said the contract contains claus=
es allowing the province to cancel the deal.<BR>
<BR>
NDP critic Doug Routley said it's another example of the Liberal government=
 changing its own procurement rules when it is convenient.<BR>
<BR>
Rogers and Shaw declined to comment. Bell did not respond to a request for =
comment.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
&copy; Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist<BR>
Read more: <a href=3D"http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Competitors+blast+exc=
lusive+Telus+deal/6293115/story.html#ixzz1p0NwobRE">http://www.timescolonist=
.com/news/Competitors+blast+exclusive+Telus+deal/6293115/story.html#ixzz1p0N=
wobRE</a><BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial">=
<SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><BR>
My own question about this particular &nbsp;&quot;market-based&quot; approa=
ch to broadband infrastructure development in BC isn't about procurement rul=
es or bid process. &nbsp;It's &nbsp;this - in a digital economy, if you &quo=
t;outsource&quot; to the private sector all of the capacity in government to=
 understand the uses of networked connectivity for the electronic delivery o=
f government services, who is left to meet &nbsp;government's inherent respo=
nsibility to link connectivity and community development? &nbsp;My experienc=
e with government practices of using outsourcing to downsize itself, for exa=
mple in health, social services or environmental regulation, is that the peo=
ple who understand the public policy dimensions of that sector are then let =
go, and government effectiveness as an actor in the sector disappears. &nbsp=
;Less government almost always results in less effective governance, leaving=
 the little guys and the big guys to sort it out on their own.<BR>
<BR>
I'm not rejecting public-private partnerships where the capacity of governm=
ents to exercise their responsibility to balance the system of services rema=
ins intact. &nbsp;But it remains my own faith that societies that recognize =
the importance of community in the structure of a digital economy will do fa=
r better at adapting to it than those who do not. &nbsp;For the next ten yea=
rs, because of a political priority to downsize government by outsourcing ne=
twork services for the electronic delivery of government services, Telus now=
 owns essential components of BC capacity to address the uses of ICTs for de=
velopment &#8211; community development online. &nbsp;Bottom line is that Te=
lus now dominates the transport channels for the networked delivery of gover=
nment services. Long term, the question I think needs to be asked is &#8211;=
 do we want them the dominate governance? &nbsp;Who elected them?<BR>
<BR>
GG<BR>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<BR>
For list archives and subscription/unsubscription settings visit:<BR>
&nbsp;<a href=3D"http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/broadbandcommunityc=
hampions-list">http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists/info/broadbandcommunitych=
ampions-list</a><BR>
<BR>
To Unsubscribe from this list :<BR>
Send an email to <a href=3D"SYMPA@vancouvercommunity.net">SYMPA@vancouvercomm=
unity.net</a> with the subject line as follows:<BR>
&nbsp;UNSUBSCRIBE broadbandcommunitychampions-list<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial">=
<SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial">=
<SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080"><FONT FACE=
=3D"Skia, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Skia, Verda=
na, Helvetica, Arial"><FONT COLOR=3D"#0A0032">Gary Kenward<BR>
</FONT></FONT></SPAN><FONT COLOR=3D"#300094"><FONT SIZE=3D"1"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic=
 Sans MS"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:8pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"1"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:8pt'><FON=
T COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><FONT FACE=3D"Engravers MT">THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THI=
S DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL</FONT></FONT></SPAN></FONT><FONT FACE=
=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3414504865_2016691--