[Advisors] "digital strategy" canada?

James Van Leeuwen jvl at ventus.ca
Fri, 22 Feb 2013 16:22:48 -0700

--Apple-Mail=_D8147732-290D-4414-921D-3D8D4FAE2D67

On 2013-02-22, at 3:04 PM, Gary W Kenward <garykenward@eastlink.ca> =
wrote:

> James:
>=20
>   Thank you for your perspective. I find it interesting that you say =
iCANADA wants to get the two sectors working together. CATA started the =
iCanada initiative, and as far as I have been able to determine, have =
not tried to reach out to any community.=20

As just one member of i-CANADA's Advisory Council, I have personally =
reached out to at least twenty communities large and small here in =
western Canada over the last two years.

Elected officials from some of these communities now serve on the =
Governance Council of i-CANADA, and CIOs and IT Managers from some of =
these communities have joined the Advisory Council.=20

I have done the same with western Canada's major Research & Education =
networks, which are now also represented on i-CANADA's Governance Board.=20=

The Premier of New Brunswick is Chairman of the Governance Council, and =
Mayor Brad Woodside of Fredericton also serves on the Governance =
Council.=20

"We don't charge you to walk on our sidewalks. Why would we charge you =
for broadband?=94
[Mayor Woodside commenting on Fredericton=92s Frede-zone public access =
WiFi network, www.fred-ezone.ca]

>   I disagree that there is no interest, and I disagree that there are =
not community groups wiling to interact. I think the major issue is more =
likely that the groups are local, small and numerous. A quintessentially =
Canadian behaviour is to engage governments under the assumption that =
they represent communities. Having worked with some of these communities =
locally, there seems to be a general experience that the governments are =
not very good at engaging community groups even with their government =
programs, never mind iCanada.
> =20
> As an example: I first heard of i-Canada when it created a LinkedIn =
group. I read the first postings, and then the web site. Interest was =
proclaimed and questions asked by a number of people (presumably mostly =
Canadian members of the LinkedIn community). iCanada did not respond to =
any inquiry at that time. And, a cursory perusal of the the iCanada =
group today shows that there continues to be no attempt at fostering =
discussion. The group simply serves as a platform for disseminating =
iCanada announcements. So how is this engaging the community?
>=20
>   My professional background includes working in the =
telecommunications and data networking sectors. There's good reason to =
question CATAs motivations regarding iCANADA - they are an industry =
organization driven by profit opportunities for their members in select =
markets. The current flurry of announcements regarding mHealth is a =
perfect example. I do not have an issue with their motivations except =
when they attempt to disguise those motivations behind a facade of =
community service.
>=20
>   Communities, governments and businesses working together is the =
ideal scenario for pretty well any issue Canada faces moving forward. =
Governments and businesses working together without communities is not =
an ideal scenario.
>=20
>  I will begin to believe they are truly interested in communities when =
representatives are included in iCanada discussions and events (take a =
look at the January, 2013 announcement on http://icanada.nu/ - not one =
representative of the community appears in the list of people gathered =
to "create a plan to develop an equitable high-bandwidth regional =
community, bringing ultra-high-speed service to homes and businesses =
throughout the twin provinces." In an area where there are many =
communities and community groups.
>=20
>    I wish you all the best in your endeavours to influence iCanada.
>=20
> Regards,
> Gary
>=20

I did not say there was no interest, Gary, I said there was a lack of =
committed leadership.

My local Economic Development Committee might be interested to hear what =
I have to say, but this does not imply that anyone is going to take any =
initiative in this community.=20

That said, you make a valid point.=20

If we could get all the committed community leadership we have in Canada =
supporting a single nationwide initiative, we would have a much better =
balance between community and enterprise agendas.

This is i-CANADA's objective, and it's why I volunteer for them.

I hope you will all consider doing the same.

As for our expectations of senior governments...

Whether these expectations are warranted or not, they are failing us =
badly.

The System - OUR System - is broken, and outliving its usefulness.=20

Despite this, an attitude of Ain't-Broke-Don't-Fix-It still prevails.

We may be reluctant to accept reality, because it means the burden of =
leadership now falls to us as individuals and communities.

I personally believe this is the essence of the challenge Canada faces =
at this point in its history.

If we fail to respond, we fail ourselves and we especially fail our =
children.

"The major advances in human civilization all but wreck the societies in =
which they appear." [Alfred North Whitehead]

More than anything, this is a commentary on the history of institutional =
change.

Historically, government institutions have always been the slowest to =
change in the wake of a technological revolution.=20

The truth of the matter is that our senior governments need external =
guidance to help them adapt to the new realities we are now facing.=20

They reflexively look inward, which is the worst possible thing to do.

There is always plenty of rhetoric and window dressing around 'engaging =
the citizen' and 'listening', but even if they hear what we were saying, =
they are still unable to respond.

The internal tensions in our senior governments today are unprecedented, =
and paralyzing.=20

They cannot respond effectively without a wholesale change of =
leadership, and this will not happen until WE make it happen.=20

I should mention that this will be the first technological revolution to =
seriously disrupt our academic institutions as well as our government =
and economic institutions.=20

If we end up giving this disruption a name, it might be something like =
The Great Decentralization.

JvL

P.S.: In case anyone is wondering, I am not a political revolutionary.=20=

I am a community sustainability consultant interested to help =
communities (and governments) to capitalize on the changes we are now =
experiencing.=20

There is a tremendous amount of good that will come of all this.=20

> =20
>=20
> THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND =
CONFIDENTIAL.
>=20
> On 2013.02.22, at 4:40 PM, James Van Leeuwen <jvl@ventus.ca> wrote:
>=20
>> Gary,
>>=20
>> what will help Canada the most is to have our community/municipal =
sector and our enterprise sector working in tandem to pull Canada in the =
direction it needs to be going.
>>=20
>> A priority objective for iCANADA is to get these two sectors working =
together to mutual benefit and to broader societal benefit (they get it, =
Marita).
>>=20
>> The under-representation of the community/municipal sector in =
i-CANADA is not a matter of preference on i-CANADA's part.=20
>>=20
>> The condition reflects the availability and eagerness of leadership =
in the enterprise sector, and the widespread lack of committed =
leadership in Canada's community/municipal sector.=20
>>=20
>> Most of our community leaders still either do not recognize the need =
to lead, do not care to lead, or do not think they have permission to =
lead.
>>=20
>> Wanting permission is a quintessentially Canadian trait, but no =
community in Canada actually needs permission from anyone to meet its =
own broadband needs.=20
>>=20
>> This crippling condition does not exist in the U.S., which helps to =
explain how community broadband has become such a robust and rapidly =
growing trend down there.
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> For i-CANADA, the critical need is not to weaken enterprise =
involvement, but to strengthen community involvement.
>>=20
>> Our lack of community leadership is our single greatest obstacle in =
advancing the digital agenda in Canada... not industry, and not =
government.=20
>>=20
>> To make the best progress, this is the challenge we should be =
channelling our available attention, time and energy into.
>>=20
>> As an example of what i-CANADA is doing, co-founder Barry Gander will =
be travelling out to Calgary next month to engage an audience of =
municipal and corporate CIOs.=20
>>=20
>> I will helping to coordinate and deliver the event, because this is =
my 'turf'.
>>=20
>> i-CANADA needs all the help we can get right across Canada, =
especially volunteer support at the community level.
>>=20
>>=20
>> Why waste time engaging federal government when they are so far out =
of their depth and their priorities lie elsewhere.
>>=20
>> Our telecom and broadcast industries also have different priorities, =
which often conflict directly with the needs of communities.
>>=20
>> Both industries want to own our business rather than earn it, because =
it's the only way they know how to do business. It is their business =
DNA.
>>=20
>> I have said this before...
>>=20
>> If industry or government were actually capable of responding =
meaningfully and effectively to the grand opportunities we are facing in =
the 21st century, we would have had a digital strategy years ago.=20
>>=20
>> The notion of Gbps residential Internet connectivity for $70/month =
simply does not reconcile with their mental models of reality.=20
>>=20
>> They cannot provide the leadership we need.=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Virtually all of my consulting and volunteer activity today is =
directly focused on addressing this community leadership challenge.
>>=20
>> On the consulting front, I am about to commence work on a study that =
will produce a comprehensive assessment of economic benefits associated =
with community broadband deployment in rural and remote communities.
>>=20
>> The purpose of the study is to rationalize the costs of deployment =
for key potential stakeholders, including communities-at-large, local =
governments, senior governments, academia and industries.
>>=20
>>=20
>> On the volunteer front, our local government here in Pincher Creek =
has an Economic Development Committee to advise elected officials on =
where they should be taking initiative.=20
>>=20
>> I have just been accepted on to the Committee, and I will be =
presenting to the Committee next week on the merits of community =
broadband.=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> I have been advocating for community broadband throughout southwest =
Alberta for the last eight years, ever since the Alberta SuperNet went =
into operation.=20
>>=20
>> This will be the first time in eight years that I have been invited =
to give a presentation on the relevance of broadband to community =
economic development and community sustainability.=20
>>=20
>> My sense is that a few of our younger community and business leaders =
are finally beginning to accept that neither industry nor government has =
the motive or the mandate to meet the longer-term broadband needs of our =
community.=20
>>=20
>> It might just be wishful thinking on my part, but my point is to =
illustrate just how acute this lack of leadership is.
>>=20
>> Considering that we have had the SuperNet for eight years, you would =
think that by now all of rural Alberta would be a showcase for =
leadership in community broadband and digital economic development.=20
>>=20
>> We have only one serious initiative (Olds Fibre), and a tiny handful =
of less ambitious initiatives.=20
>>=20
>> This is the reality of Alberta... the place our current Prime =
Minister hails from.=20
>>=20
>> JvL
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> On 2013-02-22, at 11:56 AM, Gary W Kenward <garykenward@eastlink.ca> =
wrote:
>>=20
>>> There's a lot of ironic humour in your comment.
>>>=20
>>> Thank you.
>>> Gary
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND =
CONFIDENTIAL.
>>>=20
>>> On 2013.02.22, at 1:58 PM, Marita Moll <mmoll@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>>>=20
working really hard on getting i-Canada to understand the concept of =
community.
lines up with iCanada's "Innovation Nation" objectives, which focusses =
on investment incentives for internet businesses? An agenda that the =
current government (that is, Prime Minister Stephen Harper) can easily =
align himself with?
(although not a fan of some of the stimuli, such as SR&ED tax credits, =
another component of iCanada's 'platform"). However, based upon the =
information provided on iCanada's web site and it's prolific LinkedIn =
postings,  I find the proposition that iCanada is working for the =
community to be misrepresentative.
engaging Canadian communities, particularly rural, aboriginal, elderly =
and other communities in need?
CONFIDENTIAL.
-- see link below -- are laughable.  Maybe we should send the minister a =
letter with some suggestions of what a real digital strategy might =
consist of.  Actually there are several articles in the collection "The =
Internet Tree" which would suffice very well.  One is by our very own =
Garth Graham, another by Michael Geist.
Canada or
>>>=20
>>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_D8147732-290D-4414-921D-3D8D4FAE2D67

charset=3Dwindows-1252"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
href=3D"mailto:garykenward@eastlink.ca">garykenward@eastlink.ca</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><font =
color=3D"#0061ff">James:</font><div><font =
Thank you for your perspective. I find it interesting that you say =
iCANADA wants to get the two sectors working together. CATA started the =
iCanada initiative, and as far as I have been able to determine, have =
not tried to reach out to any =
just one member of i-CANADA's Advisory Council, I have personally =
reached out to at least twenty communities large and small here in =
officials from some of these communities now serve on the Governance =
Council of i-CANADA, and CIOs and IT Managers from some of these =
communities have joined the Advisory =
western Canada's major Research &amp; Education networks, which are now =
also represented on i-CANADA's Governance =
Chairman of the Governance Council, and&nbsp;Mayor Brad Woodside of =
Fredericton also serves on the Governance =
style=3D"font-size: 13px;"><b>"We don't charge you to walk on our =
style=3D"margin: 0px; "><span style=3D"font-size: 13px;">[Mayor Woodside =
style=3D"font-size: 13px; ">access WiFi network, </span><span =
style=3D"font-size: 13px; color: rgb(4, 51, 255); "><a =
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div><font =
color=3D"#0061ff">&nbsp; I disagree that there is no interest, and I =
disagree that there are not community groups wiling to interact. I think =
the major issue is more likely that the groups are local, small and =
numerous. A quintessentially Canadian behaviour is to engage governments =
under the assumption that they represent communities. Having worked with =
some of these communities locally, there seems to be a general =
experience that the governments are not very good at engaging community =
groups even with their government programs, never mind =
type=3D"cite"><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: =
space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div><font =
type=3D"cite"><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: =
space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div><font =
color=3D"#0061ff">As an example: I first heard of i-Canada when it =
created a LinkedIn group. I read the first postings, and then the web =
site. Interest was proclaimed and questions asked by a number of people =
(presumably mostly Canadian&nbsp;members of the LinkedIn community). =
[...]
look at the January, 2013 announcement on&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://icanada.nu/">http://icanada.nu/</a>&nbsp;- not one =
representative of the community appears in the list of people gathered =
to "<span style=3D"background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); line-height: =
18px; text-align: left; ">create a plan to develop an equitable =
high-bandwidth regional community, bringing ultra-high-speed service to =
homes and businesses throughout the twin provinces." In an area where =
there are many communities and community =
&nbsp;I wish you all the best in your endeavours to influence =
r></div><div>I did not say there was no interest, Gary, I&nbsp;said =
local Economic Development Committee might be interested to hear what I =
have to say, but this does not imply that anyone is going to take any =
initiative in this =
have in Canada supporting a single nationwide initiative, we would have =
a much better balance between community and enterprise =
our expectations of senior =
warranted or not, they are failing us =
an attitude of Ain't-Broke-Don't-Fix-It still =
reality, because it means the burden of leadership now falls to us as =
believe this is the essence of the challenge Canada faces at this point =
ourselves and we especially fail our =
e major advances in human civilization all but wreck the societies in =
which they appear." </b></i>[Alfred North =
commentary on the history of institutional =
have always been the slowest to change in the wake of a technological =
guidance to help them adapt to the new realities we are now =
is always plenty of rhetoric and window dressing around 'engaging the =
citizen' and 'listening', but even if they hear what we were saying, =
tensions in our senior governments today are unprecedented, and =
effectively without a wholesale change of leadership, and this&nbsp;will =
not happen until WE make it =
that this will be the first technological revolution to seriously =
disrupt our academic institutions as well as our government and economic =
disruption a name, it might be something like <b><i>The Great =
sustainability consultant interested to help communities (and =
governments) to capitalize on the changes we are now =
amount of good that will come of all =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; "><div><font =
apple-content-edited=3D"true"><div style=3D"font-family: Arial; =
font-size: medium; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><span =
style=3D"font-size: 10px; "><font face=3D"Trebuchet =
Arial; font-size: medium; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
"><span><span style=3D"color: rgb(156, 24, 0); text-align: left; =
CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND =
href=3D"mailto:jvl@ventus.ca">jvl@ventus.ca</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><meta =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
community/municipal sector and our enterprise sector working in tandem =
to pull Canada in the direction it needs to be =
get these two sectors working together to mutual benefit and to broader =
under-representation of the community/municipal sector in =
i-CANADA&nbsp;is not a matter of preference on i-CANADA's =
availability and eagerness of leadership in the enterprise sector, =
and&nbsp;the widespread lack of committed leadership in Canada's =
community leaders still either do not recognize the need to lead, do not =
care to lead, or do not think they have permission to =
Canadian trait, but no community in Canada actually needs permission =
from anyone to meet its own broadband =
exist in the U.S., which helps to explain how community broadband has =
become such a robust and rapidly growing trend down =
i-CANADA, the critical need is&nbsp;not to weaken enterprise =
involvement, but&nbsp;to strengthen community =
is our single greatest obstacle in advancing the digital agenda in =
Canada... not industry, and not =
this is the challenge we should be channelling our available attention, =
i-CANADA is doing, co-founder Barry Gander will be travelling out to =
Calgary next month to engage an audience of municipal and corporate =
deliver the event, because this is my =
right across Canada, especially volunteer support at the community =
federal government when they are so far out of their depth and their =
broadcast industries also have different priorities, which often =
conflict directly with the needs of =
our business rather than <i>earn</i> it, because it's the only way they =
know how to do business. It is their business =
actually capable of responding meaningfully and effectively to the grand =
opportunities we are facing in the 21st century, we would have had a =
Internet connectivity for $70/month simply does not reconcile with their =
provide the leadership we =
ly all of my consulting and volunteer activity today is directly focused =
on addressing this community leadership =
about to commence work on a study that will produce a comprehensive =
assessment of economic benefits associated with community broadband =
purpose of the study is to rationalize the costs of deployment for key =
potential stakeholders, including communities-at-large, local =
governments, senior governments, academia and =
front, our local government here in Pincher Creek has an Economic =
Development Committee to advise elected officials on where they should =
accepted on to the Committee, and I will be presenting to the Committee =
next week on the merits of community =
advocating for community broadband throughout southwest Alberta for the =
last eight years, ever since the Alberta SuperNet went into =
eight years that I have been <b>invited</b> to give a presentation on =
the relevance of broadband to community economic development and =
that a few of our younger community and business leaders are finally =
beginning to accept that neither industry nor government has the motive =
or the mandate to meet the longer-term broadband needs of our =
thinking on my part, but my point is to illustrate just how acute this =
had the SuperNet for eight years, you would think that by now all of =
rural Alberta would be a showcase for leadership in community broadband =
only one serious initiative (Olds Fibre), and a tiny handful of less =
reality of Alberta... the place&nbsp;our current Prime Minister hails =
v><div>On 2013-02-22, at 11:56 AM, Gary W Kenward &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:garykenward@eastlink.ca">garykenward@eastlink.ca</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">There's a lot of ironic humour in your =
CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL.<br><br>On =
2013.02.22, at 1:58 PM, Marita Moll &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:mmoll@ca.inter.net">mmoll@ca.inter.net</a>&gt; =
this question. &nbsp;James has been working really hard on getting =
i-Canada to understand the concept of community.<br><br>I'll pass this =
for me: the strategy outlined in Michael's posting lines up with =
iCanada's "Innovation Nation" objectives, which focusses on investment =
incentives for internet businesses? An agenda that the current =
government (that is, Prime Minister Stephen Harper) can easily align =
himself with?<br><br> &nbsp;I am all for promoting investment in high =
tech in Canada (although not a fan of some of the stimuli, such as =
SR&amp;ED tax credits, another component of iCanada's 'platform"). =
However, based upon the information provided on iCanada's web site and =
it's prolific LinkedIn postings, &nbsp;I find the proposition that =
iCanada is working for the community to be misrepresentative.<br><br> =
&nbsp;Do you know of activities by iCanada that are aimed at directly =
engaging Canadian communities, particularly rural, aboriginal, elderly =
and other communities in =
----------<br>"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;<br>the =
unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to =
himself.<br>Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable =
CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL.<br><br>On =
2013.02.21, at 6:43 PM, Marita Moll&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:mmoll@ca.inter.net">mmoll@ca.inter.net</a>&gt; =
govt's digital strategy listed in the letter -- see link below -- are =
laughable. &nbsp;Maybe we should send the minister a letter with some =
suggestions of what a real digital strategy might consist of. =
&nbsp;Actually there are several articles in the collection "The =
Internet Tree" which would suffice very well. &nbsp;One is by our very =
2/19/2013 7:05 AM, michael gurstein wrote:<br><br><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">I don't know which is worse... Not having a digital =
strategy for Canada or<br>having the kind of digital strategy that we =
government's response to digital strategy critics<br>&lt;<a =
href=3D"http://wordsbynowak.com/2013/02/15/digital-strateg/">http://wordsb=