[Advisors] "digital strategy" canada?

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Sat, 23 Feb 2013 15:35:53 -0500

--------------000203090508060900040708

Hi Kristina.  Thanks for your points below.  We want to stay positive
and we want to keep discussions going.

Many of the people on this list would love to showcase what they are
doing and share their ideas on how a digital strategy should evolve in
Canada.  In fact, TC and its community partners have been active
participants in any digital economy consultations that have been
accessible to them.  But it costs $600 to go to your meeting not
including transportation and accommodation costs.  That kind of
disposable money simply does not exist at the community level for people
who are actively working on connecting communities.  They are many,
small and under resourced -- both with time and money.

I am guessing that not many of the participants at I-Canada events are
funding their participation out of their own pockets. And, as far as I
know,  the funding pockets that support these sorts of things (research
grants, industry outreach/pr budgets) are not usually accessible to
community workers -- catch-22.

Some of this is documented in papers (all online) in the book about
Canadian community networks that came out of the SSHRC funded Canadian
Research Alliance for Community Innovation (CRACIN)
http://www.aupress.ca/index.php/books/120193.

Marita Moll

On 2/23/2013 2:38 PM, Kristina Verner wrote:
> [...]
>>> access WiFi network, www.fred-ezone.ca <http://www.fred-ezone.ca/>]

>>> I did not say there was no interest, Gary, I said there was a lack
>>> of committed leadership.
>>>
>>> My local Economic Development Committee might be interested to hear
>>> what I have to say, but this does not imply that anyone is going to
>>> take any initiative in this community.
>>>

>>> That said, you make a valid point.
>>>
>>> If we could get */all/* the committed community leadership we have
>>> in Canada supporting a single nationwide initiative, we would have a
>>> much better balance between community and enterprise agendas.
>>>
>>> This is i-CANADA's objective, and it's why I volunteer for them.
>>>
>>> I hope you will all consider doing the same.
>>>

>>> As for our expectations of senior governments...
>>>
>>> Whether these expectations are warranted or not, they are failing us
>>> badly.
>>>
>>> The System - OUR System - is broken, and outliving its usefulness.
>>>
>>> Despite this, an attitude of Ain't-Broke-Don't-Fix-It still prevails.
>>>
>>> We may be reluctant to accept reality, because it means the burden
>>> of leadership now falls to us as individuals and communities.
>>>
>>> I personally believe this is the essence of the challenge Canada
>>> faces at this point in its history.
>>>
>>> If we fail to respond, we fail ourselves and we especially fail our
>>> children.
>>>

>>> /*"The major advances in human civilization all but wreck the
>>> societies in which they appear." */[Alfred North Whitehead]
>>>
>>> More than anything, this is a commentary on the history of
>>> institutional change.
>>>
>>> Historically, government institutions have always been the slowest
>>> to change in the wake of a technological revolution.
>>>

>>> The truth of the matter is that our senior governments need
>>> *_external_* guidance to help them adapt to the new realities we are
>>> now facing.
>>>
>>> They reflexively look inward, which is the worst possible thing to do.
>>>
>>> There is always plenty of rhetoric and window dressing around
>>> 'engaging the citizen' and 'listening', but even if they hear what
>>> we were saying, they are still unable to respond.
>>>
>>> The internal tensions in our senior governments today are
>>> unprecedented, and paralyzing.
>>>
>>> They cannot respond effectively without a wholesale change of
>>> leadership, and this will not happen until WE make it happen.
>>>

>>> I should mention that this will be the first technological
>>> revolution to seriously disrupt our academic institutions as well as
>>> our government and economic institutions.
>>>
>>> If we end up giving this disruption a name, it might be something
>>> like */The Great Decentralization/*.
>>>

>>> JvL
>>>
>>> P.S.: In case anyone is wondering, I am not a political revolutionary.
>>>
>>> I am a community sustainability consultant interested to help
>>> communities (and governments) to capitalize on the changes we are
>>> now experiencing.
>>>
>>> There is a tremendous amount of good that will come of all this.

<head>
 http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Hi Kristina.  Thanks for your points below.  We want to stay positive
and we want to keep discussions going. <br>
Many of the people on this list would love to showcase what they are
doing and share their ideas on how a digital strategy should evolve in
Canada.  In fact, TC and its community partners have been active
participants in any digital economy consultations that have been
accessible to them.  But it costs $600 to go to your meeting not
including transportation and accommodation costs.  That kind of
disposable money simply does not exist at the community level for
people who are actively working on connecting communities.  They are
many, small and under resourced -- both with time and money. <br>
I am guessing that not many of the participants at I-Canada events are
funding their participation out of their own pockets. And, as far as I
know,  the funding pockets that support these sorts of things (research
grants, industry outreach/pr budgets) are not usually accessible to
community workers -- catch-22.<br>
Some of this is documented in papers (all online) in the book about
Canadian community networks that came out of the SSHRC funded Canadian
Research Alliance for Community Innovation (CRACIN)
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.aupress.ca/index.php/books/120193">http://www.aupress.ca/index.php/books/120193</a>.  <br>
Marita Moll<br>
 content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
Hello Everyone,
while James has articulated much of what I was going to say, I did want
to share some additional information regarding i-CANADA, as there
appears to be a continued misunderstanding of what i-CANADA is doing,
who is involved, and how it may be able to help move the discussions
forward for many intelligent community related matters in the Canadian
context, including broadband services, digital inclusion, and also in
terms of helping to craft a digital strategy moving forward.</div>
i-CANADA and have been since fairly close to its inception when I was
in community-University research initiative down at the University of
Windsor.  The co-founders of i-CANADA reached out to me when
Windsor-Essex was named in the Top 7 Intelligent Communities globally
to see if there were transferrable lessons that they could share with
other communities to help them overcome some of their digital economy
challenges.</div>
[...]
vehicle provided for private sector agendas to be pushed along.  </div>
 While there were more private sector attendees, they were sharing
lessons learned on topics such as social business and business process
transformation - they weren't priming the pump or peddling their wares
in the least.  Attendees were able to hear about the latest
developments in the research and education networks (including how
ORION is now working more closely with the municipal sector), and first
responders.  Crowd-funding as a creative solution to overcoming the
financial barriers to innovation was also discussed.  It is key to
remember that a great deal of value at both of these events is the
significant amount of knowledge exchange that occurs among the
attendees.  </div>
since I have moved onto a new position.  This event will be held in
June.  Topics will include how to create a sense of community (be that
defined by geography or interest) in connected environments, how open
data and analytics can support healthy communities, sustainable
transportation systems, clean water, energy savings etc., social and
digital inclusion, an update on the regional initiatives that have been
developing (there have been strong developments particularly on the
east coast and also through James' leadership in the west), and a
glimpse into global best practices relating to intelligent community
development.</div>
[...]
nation.)</div>
[...]
perspective.</div>
Advisors that is a larger group or more front line folks, such as
myself - essentially Intelligent Community practitioners that are
bringing opportunities and lessons learned to the table.</div>
the scope of i-CANADA's activities.  Based on the comments coming from
this group, I am concerned that the message is getting misconstrued as
a result of the nature of the activity that tends to occur in that
space. We may need to consider a more active moderation role to ensure
this outlet does not convey a different set of values from what the
i-CANADA mandate actually is. i-CANADA's key areas of focus are on
fostering best practices among Canadian communities, knowledge transfer
among those communities, and advocating on the gaps that exist to
ensure that our nation remains competitive in the global broadband
economy. Admittedly i-CANADA needs to have some sponsors to underwrite
the events and programs as there are costs associated with these
activities.  </div>
that this group has, it simply may be as a result of this group not
being active contributors to the dialogue that is occurring.  They have
a genuinely open door and are more than happy to work with other groups
that are doing great things to benefit Canadian communities (with a
broad definition of the term "community").  I would suggest that a
great course of action would be for this group to reach out to i-CANADA
and explore how they may be able to assist TC in achieving its
objectives - and vice versa.  <b>Maybe a great first step would be to
have a few folks attend the conference in June to gain an understanding
and appreciation from first hand exposure to the community champions
and various subject matter experts that will be in attendance?  </b></div>
  </b></div>
another and had hoped last year that TC would have been open to working
with i-CANADA with a particular interest in amplifying the digital
inclusion concerns.</div>
information can be found at: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
 href="http://icanada.nu/events/">http://icanada.nu/events/</a> .  I
would also welcome any direct questions if you have a specific area of
interest.</div>
 moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:imaginit@eastlink.ca">imaginit@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;
wrote:</div>
 content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
there will be two forces within iCanada to help steer them towards more
real community involvement.</div>
community itself, rather then trying to fix the issues with government
representation of those communities. I cannot get excited with the
announcement of a Mayor or government CTO joining iCanada. Necessary?
Yes. Sufficient? Hardly. </div>
with the needs of the community without understanding those needs. And
I don't believe any of us really understand all the communities in the
municipality we live in, never mind across Canada.</div>
is impossible - a rationalization often used to justify autocratic
governance.</div>
 style="orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; word-wrap: break-word;">
 style="orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; word-wrap: break-word;">
 style="orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; word-wrap: break-word;">
 style="orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; word-wrap: break-word;">
 style="orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; word-wrap: break-word;">
 style="orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; word-wrap: break-word;">
 style="orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; word-wrap: break-word;">
 style="orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2; word-wrap: break-word;">
 style="font-family: Arial; font-size: medium; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2;"><font
 style="font-size: 10px;" color="#511989"><font
 style="font-weight: normal; font-family: Arial; font-style: normal;"
 face="Lucida Grande"><br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
 style="font-weight: normal; font-family: Arial; font-style: normal;">-----------------------------------------------</span><br
 class="Apple-interchange-newline">
 style="font-family: Arial; font-size: medium; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2;"><font
 style="font-size: 10px;" face="Comic Sans MS" color="#511989"> -
Bruce Schneier, Beyond Fear</font></div>
 style="font-family: Arial; font-size: medium; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; widows: 2;"><span
 style="font-size: 10px;"><br>
 face="Trebuchet MS" color="#9c1800"><span style="font-size: 10px;"><b>THE
 style="font-family: Arial; font-size: medium; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;"
 moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:jvl@ventus.ca">jvl@ventus.ca</a>&gt;
wrote:</div>
 content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
 moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:garykenward@eastlink.ca">garykenward@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;
wrote:</div>
 content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
find it interesting that you say iCANADA wants to get the two sectors
working together. CATA started the iCanada initiative, and as far as I
have been able to determine, have not tried to reach out to any
community. </font></div>
personally reached out to at least twenty communities large and small
here in western Canada over the last two years.</div>
on the Governance Council of i-CANADA, and CIOs and IT Managers from
some of these communities have joined the Advisory Council. </div>
&amp; Education networks, which are now also represented on i-CANADA's
Governance Board. </div>
Council, and Mayor Brad Woodside of Fredericton also serves on the
Governance Council. </div>
don't charge you to walk on our sidewalks. Why would we charge you for
 style="font-size: 13px;">access WiFi network, </span><span
 style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(4, 51, 255);"><a
disagree that there is no interest, and I disagree that there are not
community groups wiling to interact. I think the major issue is more
likely that the groups are local, small and numerous. A
quintessentially Canadian behaviour is to engage governments under the
assumption that they represent communities. Having worked with some of
these communities locally, there seems to be a general experience that
the governments are not very good at engaging community groups even
with their government programs, never mind iCanada.</font></div>
i-Canada when it created a LinkedIn group. I read the first postings,
and then the web site. Interest was proclaimed and questions asked by a
number of people (presumably mostly Canadian members of the LinkedIn
community). iCanada did not respond to any inquiry at that time. And, a
cursory perusal of the the iCanada group today shows that there
continues to be no attempt at fostering discussion. The group simply
serves as a platform for disseminating iCanada announcements. So how is
this engaging the community?</font></div>
includes working in the telecommunications and data networking sectors.
There's good reason to question CATAs motivations regarding iCANADA -
they are an industry organization driven by profit opportunities for
their members in select markets. The current flurry of announcements
regarding mHealth is a perfect example. I do not have an issue with
their motivations except when they attempt to disguise those
motivations behind a facade of community service.</font></div>
businesses working together is the ideal scenario for pretty well any
issue Canada faces moving forward. Governments and businesses working
together without communities is not an ideal scenario.</font></div>
truly interested in communities when representatives are included in
iCanada discussions and events (take a look at the January, 2013
announcement on <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://icanada.nu/">http://icanada.nu/</a> -
not one representative of the community appears in the list of people
gathered to "<span
 style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">create
a plan to develop an equitable high-bandwidth regional community,
bringing ultra-high-speed service to homes and businesses throughout
the twin provinces." In an area where there are many communities and
endeavours to influence iCanada.</font></div>
a lack of committed leadership.</div>
to hear what I have to say, but this does not imply that anyone is
going to take any initiative in this community. </div>
leadership we have in Canada supporting a single nationwide initiative,
we would have a much better balance between community and enterprise
agendas.</div>
them.</div>
failing us badly.</div>
usefulness. </div>
prevails.</div>
burden of leadership now falls to us as individuals and communities.</div>
Canada faces at this point in its history.</div>
fail our children.</div>
wreck the societies in which they appear." </b></i>[Alfred North
Whitehead]</div>
institutional change.</div>
slowest to change in the wake of a technological revolution. </div>
guidance to help them adapt to the new realities we are now facing. </div>
thing to do.</div>
around 'engaging the citizen' and 'listening', but even if they hear
what we were saying, they are still unable to respond.</div>
unprecedented, and paralyzing. </div>
of leadership, and this will not happen until WE make it happen. </div>
revolution to seriously disrupt our academic institutions as well as
our government and economic institutions. </div>
revolutionary. </div>
help communities (and governments) to capitalize on the changes we are
now experiencing. </div>
this. </div>
 style="font-family: Arial; font-size: medium; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;"><span
 style="font-family: Arial; font-size: medium; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;"><span><span
 style="color: rgb(156, 24, 0); text-align: left; font-size: 12px;"><font
 face="Trebuchet MS"><b><i>THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT
 moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:jvl@ventus.ca">jvl@ventus.ca</a>&gt;
wrote:</div>
 content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
community/municipal sector and our enterprise sector working in tandem
to pull Canada in the direction it needs to be going.</div>
sectors working together to mutual benefit and to broader societal
benefit (they get it, Marita).</div>
sector in i-CANADA is not a matter of preference on i-CANADA's part. </div>
leadership in the enterprise sector, and the widespread lack of
committed leadership in Canada's community/municipal sector. </div>
recognize the need to lead, do not care to lead, or do not think they
have permission to lead.</div>
but no community in Canada actually needs permission from anyone to
meet its own broadband needs. </div>
which helps to explain how community broadband has become such a robust
and rapidly growing trend down there.</div>
enterprise involvement, but to strengthen community involvement.</div>
obstacle in advancing the digital agenda in Canada... not industry, and
not government. </div>
should be channelling our available attention, time and energy into.</div>
Barry Gander will be travelling out to Calgary next month to engage an
audience of municipal and corporate CIOs. </div>
because this is my 'turf'.</div>
Canada, especially volunteer support at the community level.</div>
so far out of their depth and their priorities lie elsewhere.</div>
priorities, which often conflict directly with the needs of communities.</div>
than <i>earn</i> it, because it's the only way they know how to do
business. It is their business DNA.</div>
responding meaningfully and effectively to the grand opportunities we
ago. </div>
$70/month simply does not reconcile with their mental models of
reality. </div>
today is directly focused on addressing this community leadership
challenge.</div>
a study that will produce a comprehensive assessment of economic
benefits associated with community broadband deployment in rural and
remote communities.</div>
deployment for key potential stakeholders, including
communities-at-large, local governments, senior governments, academia
and industries.</div>
Pincher Creek has an Economic Development Committee to advise elected
officials on where they should be taking initiative. </div>
will be presenting to the Committee next week on the merits of
community broadband. </div>
throughout southwest Alberta for the last eight years, ever since the
Alberta SuperNet went into operation. </div>
been <b>invited</b> to give a presentation on the relevance of
broadband to community economic development and community
sustainability. </div>
business leaders are finally beginning to accept that neither industry
nor government has the motive or the mandate to meet the longer-term
broadband needs of our community. </div>
point is to illustrate just how acute this lack of leadership is.</div>
years, you would think that by now all of rural Alberta would be a
showcase for leadership in community broadband and digital economic
development. </div>
tiny handful of less ambitious initiatives. </div>
Prime Minister hails from. </div>
 moz-do-not-send="true" href="mailto:garykenward@eastlink.ca">garykenward@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;
wrote:</div>
your comment.<br>
Thank you.<br>
Gary<br>
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL.<br>
On 2013.02.22, at 1:58 PM, Marita Moll &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
 href="mailto:mmoll@ca.inter.net">mmoll@ca.inter.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
this question.  James has been working really hard on getting i-Canada
to understand the concept of community.<br>
I'll pass this to him.<br>
Marita<br>
On 2/21/2013 11:42 PM, imaginit wrote:<br>
 Please clarify for me: the strategy outlined in Michael's posting
lines up with iCanada's "Innovation Nation" objectives, which focusses
on investment incentives for internet businesses? An agenda that the
current government (that is, Prime Minister Stephen Harper) can easily
align himself with?<br>
 I am all for promoting investment in high tech in Canada (although not
a fan of some of the stimuli, such as SR&amp;ED tax credits, another
component of iCanada's 'platform"). However, based upon the information
provided on iCanada's web site and it's prolific LinkedIn postings,  I
find the proposition that iCanada is working for the community to be
misrepresentative.<br>
 Do you know of activities by iCanada that are aimed at directly
engaging Canadian communities, particularly rural, aboriginal, elderly
and other communities in need?<br>
Regards,<br>
Gary<br>
-----------------------------------------------<br>
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;<br>
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.<br>
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."<br>
   - George Bernard Shaw<br>
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL.<br>
On 2013.02.21, at 6:43 PM, Marita Moll&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
 href="mailto:mmoll@ca.inter.net">mmoll@ca.inter.net</a>&gt;  wrote:<br>
digital strategy listed in the letter -- see link below -- are
laughable.  Maybe we should send the minister a letter with some
suggestions of what a real digital strategy might consist of.  Actually
there are several articles in the collection "The Internet Tree" which
would suffice very well.  One is by our very own Garth Graham, another
by Michael Geist.<br>
Marita<br>
On 2/19/2013 7:05 AM, michael gurstein wrote:<br>
worse... Not having a digital strategy for Canada or<br>
having the kind of digital strategy that we are likely to get from a
Harper<br>
Government :(.<br>
The government's response to digital strategy critics<br>
&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
 href="http://wordsbynowak.com/2013/02/15/digital-strateg/">http://wordsbynowak.com/2013/02/15/digital-strateg/</a>&gt;<br>