[Advisors] FW: [APC Forum] For your action please - Surveillance and human rights principles - launch

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 21:54:48 PDT 2013

This is an important international initiative to start processes towards the
introduction of the rule of law into the rampaging extension of Internet
based surveillance.  Presciently this was started prior to the recent
Snowden revelations so it doesn’t completely reflect all of the issues that
have emerged (IMHO particularly those having to do with the
extra-territoriality and global inter-security agency collaborations (we are
all "foreigners"* in this new reality).

I/The Centre for Community Informatics Research Development and Training
have signed on to this and I would urge any of you folks with an interest
either through your organizations or personally to consider doing so as well
by sending an email to Tamir Israel, of the U. of Ottawa based Canadian
Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic and one of the lawyers
cooperating in formulating this statement (copied on this message).

*Notably much of the concern in the US with regard to the Snowden
revelations had to do with ensuring that the rights of US citizens were
protected (and leaving everyone else as "foreigners" with no evident
protections

http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/in-an-internetworked-world-no-one-i
s-foreign/