[Advisors] Blogpost: Multistakeholderism vs. Democracy: My Adventures in "Stakeholderland"

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:31:11 -0700

Colleagues, while the process of final selection isn't complete as yet, my
name has not been put forward by the Technical and Academic Stakeholder
group for participation on the UN's Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation.
Honestly I didn't expect that it would but I thought it worth making the
effort to put it forward.

The process of putting my name forward and then responding to the fallout is
I think, very interesting and potentially enlightening about some of the
larger governance processes that are developing in the Internet, Internet
related policy, and more broadly in current complex policy areas where
traditional strategies of democratic governance don't seem to be working
very.  I've tried to provide a bit of insight into at least some of this in
a blogpost...

http://gurstein.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/multistakeholderism-vs-democracy-my
-adventures-in-stakeholderland/

http://tinyurl.com/ce582jb

I'ld like to thank everyone who sent in an "endorsement"--they were
important as the process unfolded as you will see in the blogpost.  I'm not
sure where this will go from here but one thing that has come out of this
and related activities is a determination on my part to ensure that there is
community informatics presence and influence in the WSIS +10 summit in 2015.
Quite honestly, they need what we have to offer.

Best to all,