[Advisors] Huff Post -- Canada's digital divide

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu Nov 14 06:23:24 PST 2013

Here's an article on digital divide issues that various people on this
list contributed to in some way.  Please share it around.

Angelina Chapin.  Huffington Post, Nov. 14, 2013

Digital divide:  Canada's poorest sacrifice basic needs to get connected.
<http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11/14/digital-divide-canada-poor_n_4269171.html?utm_hp_ref=canada>

Yuji Toyozato clutches his ringing phone and panics. He has no idea how
to answer it.

How could he be so stupid? He's owned the thing for two damned months,
but still feels like a baby holding a grown-up's toy. As the ringtone
becomes louder, his anxiety mounts. Green circles emanate from the phone
icon, taunting him like a bully. "What's the matter? You can't pick me up?"

No. He doesn't know how.

/Why is something so simple for everyone else so hard for me?/

/Stupid, stupid./

Yuji hands me the Samsung Galaxy S3. It's an automated call from
Microsoft with a password to access his Hotmail account. "You answer
it," he says. Surely a younger person will know what to do. Yet I'm just
as dumbfounded as I jab at that menacing green icon. But where Yuji
feels shame, I feel blame.

/Why did Samsung screw up so badly? ........................... MORE
<http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11/14/digital-divide-canada-poor_n_4269171.html?utm_hp_ref=canada>
/

/
/