[Advisors] IT and Culture

Tracey Axelsson taxelsson at vcn.bc.ca
Thu Mar 13 10:06:49 PDT 2014

Hello all

As you know I'm fairly new with TC.  I started as the Executive Director
of the Vancouver Community Network at the end of September.  Garth and I
recently had a "Summit" in Vancouver and I think he can vouch for me as
truly working to 'bridge the digital divide' as is our mission.

We have an office at the Woodward's Building which if you don't know was a
hotly disputed development. The building host the National Film Board of
Canada and a lot of other non-profits.  We'd like more space and there is
currently there is and RFP for this.

The space is designated by the city for cultural groups.  I'm not certain
how we were accepted as a tenant previously but to get more space we'd
have to have a compelling argument that we are a 'cultural' organization
or one that supports cultural activities.

Do any of you recall and piece of research that suggest unfettered
internet access supports cultural activities?  Or any other compelling
piece of support for this assertion?  We understand our arguments were not
impressive in the RFEOI phase.

Any guidance would be welcome.

And Garth - I forwarded that Melbourne study to Shaw -- they are very
appreciative of it and I feel greater confidence we can work on the
project I shared!

best,
Tracey
VCN