[Advisors] FW: [CivicAccess-discuss] Canada's Action Plan on Open Government 2.0 and Open Government Portal released / Lancement du Plan d'action du Canada sur le gouvernement ouvert 2.0 et du Portail du gouvernement ouvert

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 11:46:25 PST 2014

From: michael gurstein [mailto:gurstein at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2014 11:40 AM
To: 'civicaccess discuss'
Subject: RE: [CivicAccess-discuss] Canada's Action Plan on Open Government
2.0 and Open Government Portal released / Lancement du Plan d'action du
Canada sur le gouvernement ouvert 2.0 et du Portail du gouvernement ouvert

Thanks for this James.

It is good that they have taken on board my comment/critique re: engaging
with populations particularly (at risk/with special needs) as per...

D. Open Dialogue - Consult, Engage, Empower

- New deliverable: "Conduct targeted consultations on open government themes
with key groups in Canada (e.g., youth, Aboriginal populations)."

This could provide an interesting set of opportunities to engage both with
the government and with these groups around making Open Data more useful as
a tool for social justice in the Canadian context. They unfortunately didn’t
mention the second part of my intervention which was the need for resources
to assist these groups in developing the capacity to make effective use of
Open Data for their purposes but what they have indicated is a useful start.

If anyone is interested in discussing this further please let me know.

Mike