[Advisors] [ciresearchers] Ties that Bind

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 11:46:42 PDT 2014

I wasn't at Ties that Bind and I didn't meet Steve or hear of his/their work
until probably 1997 or 8 at which time I believe that Apple had already
terminated their/his program.  To answer Adam's question my sense was that
there wasn't much continuity from Apple's initiative (Steve was
uncomfortable I think that they had withdrawn funding in mid-stream from a
number of projects) but by that time the Digital Divide associated funding
from various US and other government and foundation sources was starting to
kick in big time with their own objectives and priorities.  (But I always
have a faulty memory in these areas.