[Advisors] TC -- moving ahead in 2015

Brian Beaton brianbeaton at knet.ca
Fri Jan 23 14:48:11 PST 2015

Thanks for this update James ... On one hand I like what you are writing and advocate but on the other hand I am feeling very cautious with some parts of what you write ...

It is the greed of the telecom giants that continue to create the inequities with witness across the country ... Their so-called business case works great in urban environments but to provide these same services in rural and remote communities only happens when the public resources are made available to them by their government buddies. And they want ALL the dollars and everyone to be good little consumers of their monopoly service .... This is the capitalist model that creates wealth and work as long as the resources exist to support and subsidize it. Alberta continues to champion this one along with the rest of Canada and the U.S.

So ... Until that really is confronted and changed everything else you write about is a pipe dream IMHO ... The First Nations have always known this reality and have paid a heavy price in so many ways for this corrupt and greedy capitalist system. The earth and Canada is dealing with the destruction produced by this selfish and ignorant system.

Until people and groups like TC start creating the changes in government then I fear everything you write about will simply be another colonial effort to exploit and grab what few resources the First Nations are accessing to build their own communities ... If TC is going to do what you suggest then I hope everyone will work with the First Nations so the poorest and most underserved Canada are served using public dollars instead of the near urban centers like Olds ...

Brian Beaton
Researcher, First Nations Innovation project
Grad Student, Faculty of Education, Critical Studies, University of New Brunswick
Box 104, Fredericton, NB, E3B 4Y2

>>> www.ftthcouncil.org
>>> www.muninetworks.org
>>> www.ruraltelecon.org