[Advisors] YI Delays

Monique Chartrand direction at communautique.qc.ca
Tue Jun 2 06:49:48 PDT 2015

Hello,
For our part, the impacts of the changes, that we’re still trying to understand the meaning, appear majors.

We understand that the internships should provide opportunities to develop ICT skills and to allow non-profit organizations, offering internships in promising fields, to benefit from those skills.

We are not sure to understand Industry Canada's definition of ICT and their link with internships in aerospace and video games NPOs. In fact, we don't find a lot of high-tech NPOs. We continue to look around for those because we’re asked to do so again and again. We also question the relevance of this type of internships that have more to do with the private sector, that already pays for those and don’t represent de facto a particular challenge for the employability of young people involved in these professions. No doubt they lack of manpower in these areas, but would those internships really make a difference?

Our two major difficulties are therefore to understand the program since Industry Canada's proposal and job description is the same as before. Yet again, it seems clear to us that the internships in the CAP sites were very powerful for young interns regarding their appropriation of the ICTs and also to help communities to use them for economic and community development based on "Connect Canada". They had an opportunity to develop certain XXI century's skills, which are the most sought after by companies across all skills.

The other challenge regards the administrative changes. In our practice, the 8% given to administrative costs (10% before benefits) was already a financial deficit that we accept to fill since we implemented a facilitating operational system regarding the bureaucratic procedures, which is no longer accepted.

Also, the organizations (NPOs) must be autonomous in their management (which suggests that we'll have to do a lot of administrative reviews and more to get all the administrative documentation in time, so more administration and not less), and no internship for the provincial coordination.

In addition, we need to spend a lot of the administrative budget in the hiring of a full-time coordinator, which we want for years to the extent that we would have a three-year agreement or renewed in March to avoid breaks, which we can't afford with uncertain agreements signature or months later. Confirming the refusal to pay the time that our team put.

So we are a little puzzled.

Monique