[Advisors] CACTUS: New Study Calls for More Coherent Approach to Community Media in Digital Environment

Gary W Kenward garykenward at eastlink.ca
Sun Nov 1 07:35:20 PST 2015

James:

   With a new, majority government, anything is possible.

   My concern is not with CRTC staff. I do not have sufficient knowledge of the individuals to comment on their positions regarding community media and the Internet. I have heard Mr. Blais being interviewed and his responses do suggest that he is interested in change.

   The difficulty with the current CRTC lies in its mandate, and the conditions which that mandate enables. The Canadian Radio-telecommunications and Broadcasting Commission Act lays out the objects and powers of the CRTC as set out in two documents, the Telecommunications Act and the Broadcasting Act. The Broadcasting Act is concerned with “any transmission of programs”, not with an Internet application service ecosystem and not with community media.

The Telecommunications Act is concerned with information transmission, and thus arguably covers Internet transport. However, the Act itself does not identify those issues, such as net neutrality, that are important to the survival of the Internet as we know it.

   To be very clear, both the Broadcasting Act and the Telecommunications Act are important pieces of legislation, and I am of the opinion that the CRTC has performed reasonably well in fulfilling their role, given the forces at play.

   However, I suggest that the current CRTC mandate is biased towards the historic role of broadcasting and telecommunications in Canada. This at least partially enables the established corporate broadcasters and telecoms to insert themselves in all conversations as principles.

   Legislation that specifically enables the CRTC, or a new commission to address Internet issues within Canada, particularly those affecting small businesses and communities would mark real change.

Cheers,
Gary

PS I take exception to the statement that Canadian’s got the government they deserved with the Harper regime. Only 23% of the eligible voters actually voted Conservative in the 2011 election. This, however, is a discussion for a different venue.

Excellence can be attained if you:
Care more than others think is wise,
Risk more than others think is safe,
Dream more than others think is practical, and
Expect more than others think is possible.

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL.
THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT TO BE COPIED, PRINTED OR REDISTRIBUTED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR.