[Advisors] CACTUS: New Study Calls for More Coherent Approach to Community Media in Digital Environment

imaginit imaginit at eastlink.ca
Thu Oct 29 07:35:09 PDT 2015

Garth:

   I agree with the spirit of your posting.

   The disconnect I see in your thesis is whether the CRTC is to play more then a role in regulating Internet connectivity (which I would agree, they could be doing much more), or whether there is a broader role for them to play in influencing application services. They have done this in the past, for example with CanCon.

   In the past, however, service and connectivity were tightly coupled: telephony service was the sole purpose of the copper wire distribution network, broadcast radio and television the sole purpose of the (broadcast) wireless and cable infrastructure.

   The Internet is a different beast, as we all know. One of the principles of the Internet architecture is to ensure a clear independence between applications and the Internet transport service. This is one of the principle strengths of the Internet, which cannot be undermined even for the most noble of purposes. Regulating the Internet is a valid policy, as long as it stops with connectivity (including security and privacy of transport, net neutrality, etc.).

   The telecoms, cablecoms and cellcoms themselves have had great difficulty dealing with the separation of application services from transport. Their initial approach was to binding applications to transport was through explicit “garden walls”. This approach mostly failed (but hasn’t gone away), and the current emphasis is on market centric approaches, such as attempting to dominate content creation and distribution. The *coms pursue profit in businesses they understand.

  Clearly, there may be justification for regulations aimed at mitigating monopolization of the Internet by content providers. It’s not clear how this would be accomplished, given the current existence of natural Internet monopolies such as Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc.

  Providing community services is something the *coms might undertake as part of their public relations efforts. It is not something they will aggressively pursue as part of their business model, no matter how much regulation the CRTC attempts to impose.

  A better path, moving forward, would be to limit the mandate of the CRTC to regulation of distribution mediums (wireless and wired), with, i think we would all agree, an emphasis on providing fair access to everyone in Canada (with the caveat that “fair” is an open term and requires careful definition for each medium).

 If there is a government role in promoting community services at the application level, including community web sites, information distribution, emergency services, etc., then I strongly suggest this should not be undertaken by the CRTC. It must not be presented as a regulation issue, either.

  Perhaps there is a place for a new government entity aimed at promoting Internet communities at the local level. An entity that would (hopefully) be more independent of the antiquated relationships between the *coms and the CRTC.

With a new government, elected on a platform of “change”, there may be a window of opportunity for new approaches to the governments role in new media.

Regards,
Gary

It is not, perhaps, unreasonable to conclude, that a pure and perfect democracy is a thing not attainable by man, constituted as he is of contending elements of vice and virtue, and ever mainly influenced by the predominant principle of self-interest.
 - Alexander Fraser Tytler

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL.
THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT TO BE COPIED, PRINTED OR REDISTRIBUTED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR.