[Advisors] Great idea: Empower communities

Gary W Kenward garykenward at eastlink.ca
Sat Aug 20 10:02:39 PDT 2016

Marita:

    Two comments, sent to you privately so that it is taken simply as feedback rather then public criticism.

    First of all I strongly believe that any effective innovation strategy must begin with reasonably comprehensive but focussed definition of “digital skills” in the context of the Internet, and (I assume this was your intent) the Internet application ecosystem, including the WWW. “Digital skills" is an ambiguous phrase, covering everything from basic use of digital devices to research in quantum computing.

   As someone who has evangelized innovation in the commercial world and established digital technology research labs, I certainly recognize that a broader definition of objectives are more likely to produce innovation. However, real world initiatives require funding and often non-monetary support. Even if the funding source can be convinced that an open definition is more likely to produce innovation, there will always be critics who will demand crisper identification of purpose and substantive demonstration of progress (dare I suggest that this may have been one cause of the backlash against CAP?).

   Keep in mind that following the thesis of the “Internet of Things”, everything in this world can, and should be, part of the Internet.

   The second comment is related to the first: as you are probably aware, ISOC has a grant program for community projects aimed at innovative uses of the Internet. (https://www.internetsociety.org/node/440880). It has little visibility to the communities in Canada. I see three Canadian grants have been allocated recently, all given to established Canadian activists. While these projects are all valuable efforts, the real challenge will be to engage Canadian communities at the local level. Unfortunately, even for professionals there is the quandary that innovation is identifiable only in retrospect. Identifying an opportunity for innovation can be daunting. Innovation implies a first time solution.

   Since the government is focussed upon “innovation”, I suggest that the concept of needs to be clearly, and definitively recast to address local community needs. In other words, while the context is the Internet ecosystem, the goal is social innovation for a specific community rather then technology or application innovation or global social change. And, to be emphatically clear, this could, in some instances inspire technology innovation.

  If not carefully defined, a national strategy for innovation could be in contradiction to local needs. The community needs of the Toronto are likely not the same as those of Iqaluit, Nunavut, Bowser, BC nor those of Prospect Nova Scotia.

  As a counter example, there has been many posts on the ISOC and Telecommunities email lists proposing that “broadband” access is a fundamental right for communities. I’m sure some are proposing this as part if not the cornerstone of a national strategy.

  It is unclear, even to the proponents of this supposed right, what they mean by broadband, and why it is an essential right of Canadians. Arguments usually revolve around examples of communities where some form of broadband access is pervasive (and inexpensive). In my view, this proposal is a technology red herring. While some users have a definitive need for 10Gbps access (usually for commercial, and thus economic reasons), the actual right is one of fair access to information.

  This is not a minor distinction. Broadband access does not guarantee either Internet service or access to information. And there is the more involved discussion regarding a rational distribution of investment. Which would provide the greatest benefit to the most Canadians? Broadband access, or funding for community programs that address local needs. Needs that might include improved Internet service access.

  As a positive example, the community centre in my area has been offering self-funded courses on fundamental Internet skills: e.g. user security, Wordpress WWW site development, etc. Being exposed to the basic skills often leads people to identify real problems in their community that they would like to resolve.

Regards,
Gary

PS: Apologies for being so long winded. Policy arguments are not my forte. Which is why I haven’t contributed a statement to the government like you have.

I am very appreciative of your contribution and thank you.