[Advisors] Growth of Fab Labs in Canada

Monique Chartrand direction at communautique.qc.ca
Sun Jan 10 09:17:42 PST 2016

Bonjour,

This concern for the required cost and expertise is essential for the development of these ressources.

We have developed our expertise over the last five years and we are ready to accompany the development "coast to coast" with organizations that wish. Our proposal is a co-promoters mobilization process and key partners to carry out a "codesign bottum-up" over the next two years that allows to ensure that these resources meet the needs of communities.

We do not know if it will result in a program, what would be the tags, we wish to define it with the citizens, but we are assured that it will result in a better understanding and the development of initiatives and we hope strengthening current efforts Fab Labs initiatives and makerspaces. We believe that some CAP sites be breeding grounds and new spaces will emerge. Fab Labs have also been developed for "developing countries" and are present in rural areas.

We started our Fab Lab with a 3D printer, that can replicate, at $600, with costing around a value of 5000 to 50000 there are several possibilities, and to achieve this the users also contribute by sharing equipments. The animation as we know it in the internship program is similar, what is important is to welcome the skills present in our communities (including traditional skills) and develop these new digital skills, but especially the skills of the twenty-first century, just like when the internet arrived.

The network helps to develop these skills and fast forward concrete projects for social inclusion, entrepreneurship and social innovation. Fab Labs, makerspaces and Medialabs are in development in libraries, colleges, universities, we think it is important that they also grow in community groups. We think that Canada should be more present in that movement.

We know that there are probably not listed initiatives, and we yearn for the network to enrich the potential of these resources for the resilience of our communities.

We will be happy to answer all the questions raised by this invitation.

Garth thank you for sharing your initiative and for your interest, Marita, thank you for your interest, I’m available for a Skype meeting.

Best,

Monique

Here is a first picture of Fablabs who have registered with the Fab Foundation : http://www.communautique.qc.ca/assets/files/reflexion/appropriation/fab-labs-ameriques-7oct-15-mf.pdf <http://www.communautique.qc.ca/assets/files/reflexion/appropriation/fab-labs-ameriques-7oct-15-mf.pdf>

All the Fab Labs who have registered with the Fab Foundation: http://www.fabfoundation.org/fab-labs/ <http://www.fabfoundation.org/fab-labs/>

Monique Chartrand
Directrice générale
Communautique