[Advisors] Growth of Fab Labs in Canada

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Sun Jan 10 17:34:46 PST 2016

For the benefit of all (myself included) who are wondering about the
differences between makerspaces, fab labs, and other similiar
initiatives, here is a really useful discussion which clearly sets out
the differences.

http://makezine.com/2013/05/22/the-difference-between-hackerspaces-makerspaces-techshops-and-fablabs/

My take away:

Fab-labs is a network set up through MIT, there is a certain minimum
requirement with respect to space and equipment -- but non-profit.

Makerspaces seem to evolve out of community needs -- also non-profit.
Less investment required, more local DIY. 3-D printers may be new, but
the idea is old (to me). I see this as something communities have always
been doing under a new name ( and using new technologies, of course).

Community networks have been supporting creative use of technologies
from the beginning. It is essential if they want to stay relevant and be
sustainable. And I congratulate Communautique (and Monique) who have
constantly been exploring and pushing the boundaries of learning through
community engagement.  Whether it is a radio station, a recording space
a 3-d printer or a digital literacy webinar -- it is all a process of
evolution and every community will be at a different place on that
continuum. Getting into the Fab Lab network would require some financial
investment from some local/regional sources. For communities struggling
with basic access that is not realistic.

But I believe that TC is an umbrella which accommodate this difference.
We can support an agenda that says every community needs to have access
to broadband internet services and it must be a national priority to see
that this happens.  We can also encourage communities who are part of
fab lab and makerspace initiatives to share their experiences and help
others build such spaces. That's how this discussion breaks down for me.

With respect to the CACTUS intervention to the CRTC, there is no
specific commitment to the principle that all communities must be
connected while a large amount of money would be diverted to support
resource intensive hubs for television production and well equipped
maker/fab labs, etc. That could be because of the regulatory weirdness
at the CRTC.  On the broadcasting side there is no place to talk about
access -- it is probably only possible on the telecom side. It doesn't
make sense and, like Brian, I am having difficulty getting past that.

Marita