[Advisors] response to budget consultation ques.

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Wed Jan 20 14:21:20 PST 2016

I have put together a few motherhood responses to the budget
consultation questions -- mostly cribbed from the last Alternative
Federal Budget paper that I contributed to because I don't have time to
do anything else.  Please add, comment, delete.  Otherwise, I will just
submit it. There is no deadline on the consultation page -- but it must
be soon.

-----------------------------------

1. In your opinion how can we better support our middle class?

A national digital economy strategy is a vital part of federal policy
that has been allowed to languish for too long. All Canadians will be
supported by a committment to return to a leadership role in this
sector. Growing evidence supports the connection between household
income, jobs, and modern information and communications infrastructure.
As Prime Minister Trudeau said in his speech to the Davos meetings,
Canadians are resourceful. But the government must lead with a digital
strategy to move the economy firmly into the 21st century.

2. What infrastructure needs can best help grow the economy, protect our
environment and meet your priorities locally?

Economic growth in the 21st century cannot occur without 21st-century
tools. A program to support community-driven access and education
initiatives across the country would help ensure prosperity is both deep
and wide throughout the country. Over the years, this kind of initiative
has created jobs and brought new businesses to many areas at very little
cost. The government must improve Canada's communications infrastructure
and facilitate access, use, and skills in this area by committing to
effective broadband from coast to coast to coast that supports a full
range of communications applications.

3. How can we create economic growth, protect the environment and meet
local priorities while ensuring that the most vulnerable don't get left
behind.

National programs that provide access, education, and support for the
effective use of new communications technologies in communities should
be considered essential investments that generate demand and build human
capacity to meet that demand. We must ensure that all Canadians are able
to participate in the new economy. Reintroduction and expansion of
support for public access programs will boost local economies by
encouraging them to use new technologies for community development and
by offering collaborative tools. When Canadian communities suffer
because of major job losses, these programs help provide support in an
economic downturn.

4. Is the implementation of these new priorities and initiatives
realistic? Will it help us grow our economy?

Affordable high-speed internet access is an indispensable asset for the
economic health of communities of all sizes. It attracts businesses,
encourages local entrepreneurship, and maintains high standards in
education and health services, all of which support local
sustainability. Some of the funds earmarked for infrastructure spending
in this budget should be channelled into designing and implementing a
digital strategy and into extending rural and remote connectivity
programs. The federal government should work with provincial authorities
to encourage the development of a digitally literate population, and the
Minister of Employment, Workforce and Labour should review policies and
programs to ensure that priority is given to training in digital skills.