[Advisors] budget consultations - v. 2

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Sat Jan 23 10:57:06 PST 2016

On Jan 22, 2016, at 5:34 PM, James Van Leeuwen <jvl at ventus.ca> wrote:
> Social innovation is the principal catalyst for improving economic inclusion and advancing economic innovation.
>
> The most effective role for government is to inspire and support community-level leadership in social innovation, especially innovation that leads to greater economic inclusion and participation on the part of youth.
>
> Investment should focus on leadership and initiatives that foster collaborative engagement of schools, businesses, local government and the community at large in meeting the present and future economic needs of the community.

As James knows, I don’t share his enthusiasm for the efficacy of leadership.  The last vestiges of the patriarchy just aren’t going to cut it in a post modern world.  However, in spite of “because it’s 2016,” he’d probably remind me that governments haven’t noticed the change yet.  So sure, pander to their predilections.

We do both agree that it’s essential to reach past the leadership of the telcos and find ways listen to community voices.

GG