[Advisors] Governance, community, and complex adaptive systems

Gary W Kenward garykenward at eastlink.ca
Thu May 12 14:23:21 PDT 2016

James:

  Well stated. I wish I had your talent for exposition.

  It is absolutely the role of the government to promote social and economic development. It is absolutely not the role of corporations, whether they care or not (people in corporations and share holders do care, but the current reality of being in business limits what a can be done through a corporation).

  As I said in my prior post, I would simply like to see the concerns kept separate. There is still a need for the Canadian government to adopt legislation that encapsulates Internet Governance issues like net neutrality, open access, etc. These are the rules defining the Internet as a transport service. Similar to the rules and regulations surrounding vehicular transport, which, with very few exceptions, restrict how the roads are used, not what they are used for.

   The philosophy behind the Internet architecture is very simple: provide a network that allows anyone to communicate with anyone else, everywhere in the world, using whatever application they choose. Make it open, accessible, transparent, neutral and uncensored. To achieve this, the architecture keeps the “what" at a safe distance. The Internet exists and has been successful because of these principles. There are many valid ethical, social and engineering reasons for changing these principles, but these changes are vehemently opposed by the IAB/IETF because they would compromise the fundamental objectives - and success - of the Internet.

   Without regulatory protection of the fundamental principles of the Internet architecture, the ability to promote social and economic develop within communities will be jeopardized. (One way of managing the “ethics” of the ISPs is to ensure they provide a well defined service with clearly regulated properties).

   In no way am I suggesting that the “ethical context” is not important. Quite the opposite. I believe that social and economic community development are best addressed in their own context. With consideration of the established context for Internet Governance according to the aforementioned Internet architecture principles.

 Of course, everything we’ve been discussing is far beyond what the Minister has identified in public statements. It is quite possible that our hopes for change are too far outside the purview of the Ministry of Heritage.

 Gary