[Advisors] an issue for community network technical administrators

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Sat Apr 1 07:26:39 PDT 2017

Hello all. I am attending the general assembly of North American
At-Large Organizations this week (New Orleans) which is combined with
the annual meeting of ARIN (American Registry for Internet Numbers --
yes, the people who manage the Internet numbers for all of us).

I was quickly running through some of the stuff that was being
discussed, voted on at ARIN and I noticed the motion to get rid of this
section of their policy that was specifically set up for community
networks.  It doesn't mean a lot to me, but it might be relevant to
those who manage the technology. I am sure anyone will be allowed to
speak on this if they have an objection.

Here is the except from the policy manual of the piece they are
proposing to delete for lack of use/interest. Please let me know if the
removal of this special status (for obtaining numbers, I am guessing)
will affect your networks.

          6.5.9. Community Network Assignments

While community networks would normally be considered to be ISP type
organizations under existing ARIN criteria, they tend to operate on much
tighter budgets and often depend on volunteer labor. As a result, they
tend to be much smaller and more communal in their organization rather
than provider/customer relationships of commercial ISPs. This section
seeks to provide policy that is more friendly to those environments by
allowing them to use end-user criteria.

            6.5.9.1. Qualification Criteria

To qualify under this section, a community network must demonstrate to
ARIN's satisfaction that it meets the definition of a community network
under section 2.11 of the NRPM.

            6.5.9.2. Receiving Resources

Once qualified under this section, a community network shall be treated
as an end-user assignment for all ARIN purposes.

Community networks shall be eligible under this section only for IPv6
resources and the application process and use of those resources shall
be governed by the existing end-user policy contained in section 6.5.8
et. seq.

Community networks seeking other resources shall remain subject to the
policies governing those resources independent of their election to use
this policy for IPv6 resources.