[Advisors] Where are We in the Diffusion of Digital Technologies?

Gary W Kenward garykenward at eastlink.ca
Thu Apr 6 13:41:27 PDT 2017

Garth:

I find the assertion that "IT departments" provide the practice of stewardship for the Internet very curious. The author's definition of "IT department" is not provided nor is it clear what is meant by "stewardship".

Technically, the Internet is a collection of protocols whose stewardship falls under the auspices of the IETF. The membership of the IETF is comprised of largely commercial and academic representatives (and a few NFP organizations). The commercial representatives cover the broad ecosystem of infrastructure manufacturers, Internet and application service providers. The corporate presence tends to be dominated by the more successful Internet enterprises such as Cisco, HPE, Hawaii, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, Cogent, GTT, AT&T, etc. These equipment vendors, ISPs and ASPs are more representative of the practice of stewardship of the Internet. Stewardship through both commercial influence and IETF participation.

Representatives of some IT departments no doubt attend the IETF (and other Internet standards conferences). And it seems reasonable that IT groups must influence the nature of the Internet through equipment and service purchasing preferences. However, any assertion of direct "stewardship" is misleading.

And so, I suggest that the "IT departments" have little to relinquish. What influence they might have is heavily dispersed and channelled through equipment vendors and ISPs. The real "stewards" have little incentive to relinquish their influence over the Internet.

Cheers,
Gary Kenward