[Advisors] ARIN definition of community networks

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu Oct 19 09:58:22 PDT 2017

Hello again. Some months ago we contributed to a definition of community
networks for ARIN (American Registry for Internet Numbers). With a few
amendments, this is where that definition stands at the moment. Could we
adopt this as our official definition? If so, I will have it added to
our website.

"A community network is a network organized and operated by a volunteer
group, not-for-profit, non-profit, charitable organization, or
educational institution for the purpose of providing free or low-cost
connectivity, or other Information Technology services to persons or
entities within their community. Critical functions may be handled by
paid staff, but volunteers play a large role in offering services
available through community networks."