[Advisors] CIRA elections -- no my turn this time

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Wed Oct 10 22:44:08 PDT 2018

James, you are talking about the ICANN policy initiative -- Alyssa will
be in Barcelona and CIRA is very conscious of this. The way ICANN works
though, CIRA can have little impact on this. Country codes like .ca are
already set aside. Policies around the new general top level domains are
decided through discussions encompassing the entire community. In the
end, if civil society and business can't come up with a good plan, I
think government reps will step in -- but this would be highly
unpopular. Like the UN, ICANN tries to work by consensus. It's very

Marita