[Advisors] TC/ICANN sponsored ICANN briefing -- May 30

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Mon May 13 16:52:15 PDT 2019

Dear advisors:

Once again, Telecommunities Canada is sponsoring an ICANN briefing here
in Ottawa. Date is May 30th -- 5-7pm EST. Here is the eventbrite page
with the agenda.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/icann-65-marrakesh-briefing-tickets-60536750049

There will be an explanation of the multistakeholder system, some
discussion of privacy, data protection, geographical names at the top
level (e.g. who should own .amazon) and universal acceptance (e.g.
accepting, validating, storing, processing and displaying all domain
names consistently). These are all issues that, in their resolution,
will have some affect on Internet end users and that is why, as your
representative on the ICANN At-Large Council and with the help of some
ICANN discretionary funding, I am organizing an outreach event to talk
about them.

The Internet is a global system and although what happens on the
international level may seem very far away from the grassroots of
community service, the domain name system that is managed through ICANN
is actually the very root of the Internet and what happens at that root
is important to all of us who now depend on its stability and
reliability to manage our daily affairs. So, I do hope some of you will
be able to tune into the briefing.

In order to enable remote participation, this meeting will be
livestreamed and available on zoom. All details are on the eventbrite
site. If you are not able to attend at the time of the meeting, you can
always click on the livestream link and watch it later.