[Advisors] The .org domain issue on CBC's The Current

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Wed Nov 27 15:06:57 PST 2019

Just as some back ground to this link Evan has sent out:

.org is the top level domain used primary for non-profit organizations
(I am being generous here -- it is a bit more complicated). .org is
managed by PIR which stands for Public Interest Registry which is a
non-profit organization itself. The money from this organization goes to
fund ISOC which helps chapters around the world deal with digital issues
including accessibility and literacy. This is a lot of money but the
arrangement was part of a set aside early in the history of the Internet
to recognize that the Internet should not be reserved totally for for
profit ventures -- that there was a public interest aspect that needed
to be recognized and preserved.

The current controversy, which is creating a lot of turmoil in the
internet governance world, refers to the fact that ISOC has just
announced that it was selling PIR to a private equity firm with the
proceeds from the sale being turned into an endowment to fund ISOC.
Sounds like a good arrangement -- but what about the public interest?
Many people feel that the last vestige of the early idea that the
Internet was a public good has just fallen away.

Here is an article which explains with more detail.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/26/org_selloff_internet/

Marita