[Advisors] Only from KPMG? Pity!

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Tue Aug 25 18:22:44 PDT 2020

Your link is behind a paywall Garth. But the article is accessible if
you search for "internet municipal service beatty" -- it comes up in a
service called press reader. This is an article any of us could have
written -- but would not likely have seen it printed in the G&M business
section!

After itemizing multiple reasons why the current pandemic context is
showing up the need for more equitable access to Internet resources it says:

"Typically, the build out of broadband infrastructure has been left to
the telecoms. But municipalities are closest to their residents and
should be empowered to respond to their needs. This could be
accomplished by reimagining our municipalities as 'public utilities' and
leveraging their assets to create connected digital infrastructure."

It certainly is an interesting opinion piece that would have been
celebrated all those years ago by public interest advocates trying to
keep some "public interest" in the increasingly privatized "information
highway." In the early days, cities and municipalities just didn't see
this role for themselves and didn't try to fight for it.  Here in Ottawa
we actually had the capacity and the infrastructure at the time the
Internet was exploding on the scene (1990's) and gave it away to the
telcos on the grounds it was not the role of the city to run
telecommunications. There are, of course, some examples of municipally
owned fibre -- but I don't know of any new projects.

In answer to your question, is anyone thinking about this now -- I have
not heard much lately. The article suggests that the introduction of 5G
could provide some new stimulus for this kind of thinking.
"Municipalities could then co-develop public-private partnerships to
fund innovative solutions for a truly connected Canada, as well as
provide access as a "neutral host" to all qualified telecom providers at
a fair price to generate revenue."

Here's hoping KPMG people have more luck at tilting windmills than we
ever did.

Thanks for bringing this forward.

Marita