[Advisors] Fwd: Internet governance outlook 2021

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Wed Feb 17 08:58:06 PST 2021

Hi all and thanks Brian for the link to this nytimes article. It is
truly alarming, the amount of harm one person with a grudge can inflict
under the current way content is managed (or not managed) on the
Internet. Anybody find themselves caught in this kind of attack. It is
truly scary.

No one wants to handcuff the Internet, but I think states are starting
to wake up to the need to do something to curb such abuses. The EU is
currently updating it's e-Commerce directive with something call the
Digital Services Act (DSA). Some members of the EU Some member EU states
are also working on their own versions of such legislation. Hopefully it
will be the start to curbing this kind of abuse.

I have excepted a small explanation. Bolding is mine. The full document,
which is an ICANN briefing on this issue is available there is anyone
wants to read further

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/ge-004-15jul20-en.pdf
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/ge-004-15jul20-en.pdf>

--------------------

What will the DSA likely contain? The DSA will not prescribe what
illegal content is. That decision will remain with member states.
Rather, it will put in place a system, the “notice and action”
mechanism, to ensure that online services have similar processes to
remove content flagged as illegal. Key principles of the e-Commerce
Directive will most likely be maintained in the DSA. Website hosts and
“digital lockers” will not have “editorial responsibility” or be made
responsible for users’ content; and EU member states will continue to be
banned from forcing platforms to have general monitoring obligations on
content.*
*

*However, large platforms may be considered to have a special
responsibility and could be subject to additional rules, either through
legislation or additional self-regulation/co-regulation. *This could be
the case for content such as disinformation (“fake news”). The EU is
conscious of the difficulty in balancing the desire to remove unwanted
content with freedom of expression. It is therefore likely to limit its
intervention to disinformation that has malicious intent designed to
deceive the public or polarize public opinion, for example, through
coordinated disinformation campaigns by state and non-state actors.

.... The European Commission has launched an open consultation, asking
organizations and the public about the proposed approach. The
consultation includes questions on digital service providers’ experience
with removing the sale of illegal goods online; their experience with
illegal content during the COVID-19 crisis; how services approach
harmful but not illegal content, including disinformation,
cyberbullying, and violence against women online; and the systems
introduced by digital services to report unwanted content

Marita