[Advisors] Jan. zoom call

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Mon Jan 11 08:51:21 PST 2021

Hello advisors. Hope you have all weathered this somewhat bleak
Christmas season without co-vid in your households or those of your
family and friends. Navigating this second wave seems more challenging
than the first -- feels like the 3/4 mark in a marathon you weren't
planning to run.  We all look forward to better times in 2021 as we
await rescue via vaccine.

On our previous zoom call, there appeared to be support for doing it
more often. I am proposing to set up a call in January. The agenda would
consist of a 1/2 hour presentation by my friend and ICANN colleague
Glenn McKnight who has spent the past year setting up a virtual school
of internet governance. See brief blurb below. I have attended two such
f2f schools and was an invited speaker in this virtual version. The
world we live in is so dominated by the internet, it is worthwhile
knowing a bit more about where it came from, governance models, current
practices and challenges and where it might be heading.

After that I would propose we have a brief go around the table to share
any new developments. I will be sending out a doodle poll with some
choices of dates

VSIG

The  Virtual School on Internet Governance was born out of the necessity
due to the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020 and the harsh market realities of
conducting Internet Governance training cost-effectively and to a wider
international audience. The joint efforts of Alfredo Calderon and Glenn
McKnight (co-founders) came together in May 2020 and envisioned an
online learning platform that encompasses the core learnings for
students on Internet Governance but also a course that remains free to
the learners and a long term vision of a multilingual platform that
serves as a foundation for any face to face school on Internet Governance.

As a novel and efficient approach, the VSIG team follows a ten-eleven
week delivery format. Thus, during the first year, four groups of
approximately one-hundred students each and plans are in place to launch
in September 2021 for a French and Spanish version of the course
followed by Portuguese, Arabic and Hindi versions of the course.

-.