[Advisors] video - what's the deal with geonames

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu May 5 06:17:34 PDT 2022

Hello advisors. I know that that goes at ICANN may seem like it has
little relevance to most of our worlds. However, this little video
designed to explain why geonames are controversial does help explain
some of the politics that can be involved in what seem like esoteric
discussions.

geonames video: geonames_en.mp4 (dropbox.com)
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/340wkh4gy89gk3p/geonames_en.mp4?dl=0>

Let me know if you found this interesting/helpful in explaining what
goes on in the world on gTLDs -- generic top level domains. ICANN and
the community is preparing to open applications for new gTLDs sometime
soon. We (the end user community) have been very active in trying to put
in place some restraints around potential applications for geonames.