[Advisors] Our statement to Global Digital Compact

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu Apr 13 12:08:01 PDT 2023

Hello advisors. Here is the text that I have submitted to the Global
Digital Compact survey on our behalf:

Preamble:
Internet policy is not about technology but about socio-economic
development.
Today all policy is Internet policy.
The future of governance in the digital age is at stake .

To ensure that the digital commons is preserved as a global public good,
the following principles must be respected:

-- Access to the internet should be a basic human right. Everyone must
be able to use and benefit from it regardless of location or
socioeconomic status.
-- Internet governance must proceed via a multistakeholder model which
includes civil society and endusers as equal partners with government,
technical and commercial/industrial groups. Accountability and
transparency in a grass roots, bottom-up decision making process is
essential.
-- The internet must continue to be worldwide and interoperable, a free
and open space for all, where ideas can be shared without censorship or
discrimination.
-- Community/local ownership of facilities should be recognized as a
model of delivery that enables grassroots governance and socio-economic
development
-- The cultural, linguistic, and social diversity of users must be
reflected in policy and practice

Key comittments:

Digital culture is emerging from a relational worldview founded on the
principles governing interdependence in open and self-organizing
systems. The best place to act in applying principles for governance as
self-organization is neither national nor global. It is local --
reflecting the interaction of individuals and the communities of
interest and practice they inhabit.

Understanding Internet governance as an ecology mirrors a shift in our
understanding both of governance and of the significance of community
within it. All stakeholders must recognize and respect the significance
of community and the power contained therein. As a community of users,
Telecommunities Canada is committed to ensuring that all Canadians are
able to participate in community-based communications and electronic
information services by promoting and supporting local community network
initiatives.