[Advisors] second call: Global digital compact submission suggestions

David Mackey mackey361 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 12:42:45 PDT 2023

Hi Garth,

I'm not sure this feedback falls within your timing constraints, but it
might be helpful in the future if not now ...

First, I think the statement "The Digital Commons is a Public Good" and the
rest of the document are on the right track.

Secondly, I believe the statement "a federation of locals" is an idea that
is consistent with Elinor Ostrom's concept of Polycentric Governance
<https://ostromworkshop.indiana.edu/courses-teaching/teaching-tools/polycentric-goverance/what-is-pg.html>
.

Lastly, if you haven't come across this already, I'd like to bring to your
attention the academic work that's popped up in the last 10 years around
the framework of Governing The Knowledge Commons
<https://scholarship.law.pitt.edu/fac_book-chapters/8/> (GKC).

The GKC framework comes out of Elinor Ostrom's work on the commons, but
Ostrom focused her attention on physical Common Pool Resources (CPR),
whereas knowledge and information CPRs have a different nature than
physical CPRs.

You may be interested in a great open source book that was just published
in Feb 2023 called "Governing Smart Cities as Knowledge Commons
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/governing-smart-cities-as-knowledge-commons/governing-smart-cities-as-knowledge-commons/043ABF2A0FAE28C4FD33748B2DD22B69>".
Sidewalk Toronto is used as an example throughout the book and one full
chapter is dedicated to analysing the Sidewalk Toronto project within the
GKC framework.

Hopefully you'll find this information useful, if not now then at
some point in the future.

Cheers!
David