[Advisors] ICANN76 - Mar.11-16 - info

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Wed Mar 8 12:33:34 PST 2023

Hello advisors. ICANN will be holding another hybrid meeting (Cancun,
for those who are going in person) starting later this week. This is a
working meeting during which participants will be concentrating on
moving forward some of the outstanding complex policy files. One of
these is the highly anticipated new round of generic top level domains.
This process allows interested parties to buy top level domains (for
example .telecommunities) for very big bucks. And ICANN does generate
large sums of money this way. There is an article with a bit more
information about this process and what is expected:

*https://circleid.com/posts/20
230307-new-gtld-availability-inching-closer-to-reality*

In preparation for this meeting, I have been involved in organizing one
of the few "public fora" in this meeting. It will be an information
sharing event about a U.N. process called WSIS+20 -- the 20th
anniversary of the original recognition of and definition of a
multistakeholder process that evolved into the Internet Governance Forum
and the ICANN multistakeholder system. I will be attending the meeting
virtually but will be an intervener in this event on behalf of At Large
and endusers.

Registration for the meeting is open
https://meetings.icann.org/en/icann76
<https://meetings.icann.org/en/icann76>

The WSIS+20 public forum is on Wednesday Mar. 15 10:30-12:00 EST. I will
post a link to the livestream  when it becomes available.