[Advisors] Global digital compact submission suggestions

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu Mar 30 12:20:21 PDT 2023

/Hello advisors. The Global Digital Compact
<https://www.un.org/techenvoy/global-digital-compact>(an informal U.N.
consultation seeking to outline the shared principles for a ... digital
future for all) is accepting input until April 30. It would be a useful
exercise for TC to contribute something. Input needs to be organized as
follows:/

a) Core principles that all governments, companies, civil society
organisations and other stakeholders should adhere to with respect to
this topic (2500 wds max)

b) Key commitments, pledges, or actions that in your view should be
taken by different stakeholders – governments, private sector, civil
society, etc. - in order to realize the above-mentioned principles
(please be as specific and action-oriented as possible. (2500 wds max)

There are various topics we could comment on, but I thought the topic of
“The digital commons as a global public good” was the best fit. With
respect to core principles, the following seem basic.

Principles:

-- Access to the internet should be a basic human right so everyone is
able to use and benefit from the internet, regardless of location or
socioeconomic status.

-- Governance should be via a multistakeholder model which includes
civil society and endusers and facilitates grass roots, bottom-up
decision making

-- The internet should be a free and open space for all, where ideas can
be shared without censorship or discrimination.

-- Community/local ownership of facilities should be recognized as a
viable model of delivery

-- The cultural, linguistic, and social diversity of users must be
reflected in policy and practice

Please add your suggestions and actions that should be taken to realize
these principles. /There is a form to fill out which I have started on
our behalf./
/Marita /