[Sican] national campaign

Gareth Shearman shearman at victoria.tc.ca
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:39:54 -0700

--Apple-Mail-108-208858570

Our national organisation, Telecommunities Canada, has just launched a =20=

campaign called "Internet for Everyone"  Please have a look at the =20
impressive Web site put together by the folks in Quebec and Ottawa - =20
internetforeveryone.ca

Here is the text of the press release (in both official languages):

Telecommunities Canada News Release

Monday, October 6, 2008

Canadians launch "Internet for Everyone" campaign

Telecommunities Canada (TC) today launched the "Internet for Everyone" =20=

campaign (www.internetforeveryone.ca) that seeks to put a national ICT =20=

strategy back on the federal agenda.

"In the current election, none of the political parties are treating =20
the absence of any national strategy for the uses of the internet for =20=

development as an issue," says Garth Graham, Internet strategist and =20
member of the TC board of directors.

As part of any such national strategy, the primary concern of TC =20
members, community-based practitioners who are supporting this =20
campaign, will be the question of digital inclusion.  Once a leader in =20=

Internet access, Canada is now facing a harsh reality as the early =20
promise of achieving universal digital inclusion has not been =20
realized.  According to a recent OECD study (2007), Canada went from =20
2nd  to 10th  place on the list of connected nations with only 26.6 =20
broadband subscribers per 100 inhabitants.

"We started down this road to digital inclusion with high ideals, lots =20=

of political will and excellent programs in place. It=92s incredible =20
that we have allowed our position to slip so dramatically," says TC =20
president Gareth Shearman.

Over the past five years, federally supported programs directed =20
towards those with limited access and ability to use the technology =20
have been struggling with ever diminishing financial support. The =20
Community Access Program (CAP) and its companion Youth Initiative =20
Program (CAP-YI) are the backbone of a national network of community =20
technology centers that help millions of people annually to =20
incorporate new technologies into their lives.  Despite the cuts, they =20=

remain vibrant centres in local communities =96 proof of the need for =20=

and commitment of local organizations and volunteers.

These sites and their young facilitators, along with a legion of =20
volunteers, provide job search and software training, technology =20
literacy programs, access to community services, and cultural =20
integration opportunities.  They partner with the local private and =20
public sector to provide services and experienced personnel in many =20
different areas =96 from film editing to website building. Along the =20
way, thousands of CAP-YI trained youth gain experience that helps them =20=

move on in the world. Both internal and external evaluations of this =20
program have agreed that it has been a win-win relationship for years.

There has been plenty of support, both from the public and private =20
sector, for allocating some of the spectrum auction proceeds toward a =20=

national ICT strategy.  "The unanticipated success of the spectrum =20
auction provides an opportunity for us to get back into the game," =20
says Mr. Shearman.

The "Internet for Everyone" campaign will ask federal candidates where =20=

they stand on this issue.

Telecommunities Canada (www.tc.ca)  is a national coalition of groups =20=

that promote and support community technology initiatives.

For further information please contact:

Gareth Shearman, President, Telecommunities Canada
250-479-2851   shearman@victoria.tc.ca

British Columbia:
Bev Collins
General Manager
Pacific Community Networks Association
604 483 3110
bev@pcna.ca

Saskatchewan:
Marie Prebushewski
Executive Director
Thickwood Hills Business & Learning Network
306 549-4726
mpreb@sasktel.net

Manitoba:
Clarice Leader
Executive Director
Manitoba E-Association
204 781-6937
cleader@mb.e-association.ca

Ontario:
Peter Frampton
Executive Director
The Learning Enrichment Foundation
416-760-2560
pframpton@lefca.org

Quebec :
Monique Chartrand
Directrice g=E9n=E9rale
Communautique
514 948-6644 poste 221
direction@communautique.qc.ca

Northwest Territories:
Cheryl Deforest
Executive Director
Smart Communities Society
Telephone: (867) 873-6451
cdeforest@looknorth.ca

Nunavut :
Darlene Thompson
Community Access Program Administrator
Nunavut Department of Education/N-CAP
867-975-5631
DThompson@gov.nu.ca

- 30 -

Communiqu=E9 de presse de T=E9l=E9Communaut=E9s Canada

Lancement canadien de la campagne =AB Internet pour tous =BB

Lundi, 6 octobre 2008

T=E9l=E9Communaut=E9s Canada (TC) lance aujourd=92hui la campagne =AB =
Internet =20
pour tous =BB [www.internetpourtous.ca] qui a pour objectif de remettre =20=

=E0 l=92agenda du gouvernement f=E9d=E9ral une strat=E9gie nationale en =
mati=E8re =20
de technologies de l=92information et des communications (TIC).

=AB Aucun des partis, dans la campagne =E9lectorale actuelle, ne fait =20=

mention de strat=E9gie nationale pour l=92usage de l=92Internet comme =
outil =20
de d=E9veloppement =BB, fait remarquer Garth Graham, expert en strat=E9gie=
 =20
Internet et membre du conseil d'administration de T=E9l=E9Communaut=E9s =20=

Canada.

Une telle strat=E9gie devrait soulever la question de l=92inclusion =20
num=E9rique, principale pr=E9occupation des membres de T=E9l=E9Communaut=E9=
s =20
Canada qui appuient cette campagne. Autrefois chef de file de l=92acc=E8s =
=20
=E0 Internet, le Canada fait maintenant pi=E8tre figure alors que =20
l=92inclusion num=E9rique universelle promise n=92est toujours pas =
acquise. =20
Selon une =E9tude de l=92OCDE (2007), le Canada a chut=E9 du deuxi=E8me =
au =20
dixi=E8me rang mondial en terme de connectivit=E9 avec 26.6 abonn=E9s au =
=20
haut d=E9bit par 100 habitants.

=AB Nous avons d=92abord abord=E9 le projet d=92inclusion num=E9rique =
avec de =20
grands objectifs, beaucoup de volont=E9 politique et d=92excellents =20
programmes. C=92est d=E9sastreux d=92avoir laiss=E9 notre position de =
leader =20
s=92amenuiser autant =BB, poursuit Gareth Shearman, pr=E9sident de TC.

Depuis les cinq derni=E8res ann=E9es, les programmes d=92aide aux =20
populations potentiellement exclues de l=92usage des technologies, =20
soutenus par le gouvernement f=E9d=E9ral, sont en constante lutte pour =20=

survivre avec une aide financi=E8re de plus en plus limit=E9e. Le =20
Programme d=92acc=E8s communautaire (PAC) et son extension, l=92Initiative=
 =20
jeunesse (IJ-PAC), sont =E0 la base d=92un immense r=E9seau national de =20=

centres communautaires qui aident chaque ann=E9e des centaines de =20
milliers de personnes =E0 int=E9grer les nouvelles technologies dans =
leurs =20
vies. Malgr=E9 les coupures, ces centres demeurent extr=EAmement actifs, =
=20
preuve d=92un besoin r=E9el et de l=92engagement des groupes locaux et =
de =20
nombreux b=E9n=E9voles.

Ces centres et leurs jeunes animateurs offrent des formations aux =20
logiciels, de l=92aide =E0 la recherche d=92emploi, des programmes =20
d=92initiation aux TIC, un acc=E8s =E0 plusieurs services communautaires =
et =20
une opportunit=E9 de meilleure int=E9gration culturelle. S=92alliant =20
=E9galement aux secteurs public et priv=E9 et =E0 du personnel =
exp=E9riment=E9, =20
ils offrent plusieurs services compl=E9mentaires, du montage vid=E9o =E0 =
la =20
cr=E9ation de sites Web. Ainsi, des milliers de jeunes stagiaires du =20
projet IJ-PAC acqui=E8rent une exp=E9rience hors du commun qui leur =
permet =20
de devenir des citoyens engag=E9s. Les =E9valuations tant internes =20
qu=92externes de ces programmes les ont acclam=E9s et les consid=E8rent =20=

comme une r=E9ussite totale =E0 chaque ann=E9e.

Les appuis des secteurs public et priv=E9 fusent de toute part pour que =20=

soit dirig=E9e une partie des retomb=E9es de la r=E9cente vente aux =
ench=E8res =20
de 4,2 milliards de dollars du spectre d=92ondes sans fil vers une =20
strat=E9gie nationale en mati=E8re de TIC. =AB Les retomb=E9es =
inattendues de =20
la vente aux ench=E8res constituent une occasion en or pour le pays de =20=

revenir dans la partie. =BB conclut le pr=E9sident de T=E9l=E9Communaut=E9=
s =20
Canada.

La campagne =AB Internet pour tous =BB demande =E0 tous les candidats =E0 =
la =20
gouvernance leur position par rapport =E0 cette question.

T=E9l=E9Communaut=E9s Canada [www.tc.ca] est un r=E9seau de groupes qui =20=

appuient les milieux communautaires pour promouvoir les initiatives =20
reli=E9es =E0 l=92appropriation des technologies de l=92information et =
des =20
communications.

Pour plus d'informations contactez :

National:
Gareth Shearman, President, TeleCommunities Canada
250-479-2851, shearman@victoria.tc.ca

Colombie-Britannique:
Bev Collins
General Manager
Pacific Community Networks Association
604 483 3110
bev@pcna.ca

Saskatchewan:
Marie Prebushewski
Executive Director
Thickwood Hills Business & Learning Network
306 549-4726
mpreb@sasktel.net

Manitoba:
Clarice Leader
Executive Director
Manitoba E-Association
204 781-6937
cleader@mb.e-association.ca

Ontario:
Peter Frampton
Executive Director
The Learning Enrichment Foundation
416-760-2560
pframpton@lefca.org

Qu=E9bec:
Monique Chartrand
Directrice g=E9n=E9rale
Communautique
514 948-6644 poste 221
direction@communautique.qc.ca
=09
Territoires du Nord-Ouest:
Cheryl Deforest
Executive Director
Smart Communities Society
Telephone: (867) 873-6451
cdeforest@looknorth.ca

Nunavut :
Darlene Thompson
Community Access Program Administrator
Nunavut Department of Education/N-CAP
867-975-5631
DThompson@gov.nu.ca
- 30 -

 =20=

--Apple-Mail-108-208858570

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Our national organisation, =
Telecommunities Canada, has just launched a campaign called "Internet =
for Everyone" &nbsp;Please have a look at the impressive Web site put =
together by the folks in Quebec and Ottawa - =
style=3D"margin-top: 0in; margin-right: 0in; margin-left: 0in; =
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 10.5pt; font-family: Consolas; =
"><br></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0in; margin-right: 0in; =
margin-left: 0in; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 10.5pt; =
font-family: Consolas; "><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; "><div =
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Telecommunities Canada News =
for Everyone" campaign<br><br>Telecommunities Canada (TC) today launched =
the "Internet for Everyone" campaign (<a =
href=3D"http://www.internetforeveryone.ca/">www.internetforeveryone.ca</a>=
) that seeks to put a national ICT strategy back on the federal =
agenda.<br><br>"In the current election, none of the political parties =
are treating the absence of any national strategy for the uses of the =
internet for development as an issue," says Garth Graham, Internet =
strategist and member of the TC board of directors.<br><br>As part of =
any such national strategy, the primary concern of TC members, =
community-based practitioners who are supporting this campaign, will be =
the question of digital inclusion. &nbsp;Once a leader in Internet =
access, Canada is now facing a harsh reality as the early promise of =
achieving universal digital inclusion has not been realized. =
&nbsp;According to a recent OECD study (2007), Canada went from 2nd =
&nbsp;to 10th &nbsp;place on the list of connected nations with only =
26.6 broadband subscribers per 100 inhabitants.<br><br>"We started down =
this road to digital inclusion with high ideals, lots of political will =
and excellent programs in place. It=92s incredible that we have allowed =
our position to slip so dramatically," says TC president Gareth =
Shearman.<br><br>Over the past five years, federally supported programs =
directed towards those with limited access and ability to use the =
technology have been struggling with ever diminishing financial support. =
The Community Access Program (CAP) and its companion Youth Initiative =
Program (CAP-YI) are the backbone of a national network of community =
technology centers that help millions of people annually to incorporate =
new technologies into their lives. &nbsp;Despite the cuts, they remain =
vibrant centres in local communities =96 proof of the need for and =
commitment of local organizations and volunteers.<br><br>These sites and =
their young facilitators, along with a legion of volunteers, provide job =
search and software training, technology literacy programs, access to =
community services, and cultural integration opportunities. &nbsp;They =
partner with the local private and public sector to provide services and =
experienced personnel in many different areas =96 from film editing to =
website building. Along the way, thousands of CAP-YI trained youth gain =
experience that helps them move on in the world. Both internal and =
external evaluations of this program have agreed that it has been a =
win-win relationship for years.<br><br>There has been plenty of support, =
both from the public and private sector, for allocating some of the =
spectrum auction proceeds toward a national ICT strategy. &nbsp;"The =
unanticipated success of the spectrum auction provides an opportunity =
for us to get back into the game," says Mr. Shearman.<br><br>The =
"Internet for Everyone" campaign will ask federal candidates where they =
stand on this issue.<br><br>Telecommunities Canada (<a =
href=3D"http://www.tc.ca/">www.tc.ca</a>) &nbsp;is a national coalition =
of groups that promote and support community technology =
initiatives.<br><br>For further information please =
contact:<br><br>Gareth Shearman, President, Telecommunities =
Canada<br>250-479-2851 &nbsp;&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"mailto:shearman@victoria.tc.ca">shearman@victoria.tc.ca</a><br><br=
Community Networks Association<br>604 483 3110<br><a =
Prebushewski<br>Executive Director<br>Thickwood Hills Business &amp; =
Learning Network<br>306 549-4726<br><a =
781-6937<br><a =
href=3D"mailto:cleader@mb.e-association.ca">cleader@mb.e-association.ca</a=
Learning Enrichment Foundation<br>416-760-2560<br><a =
948-6644 poste 221<br><a =
href=3D"mailto:direction@communautique.qc.ca">direction@communautique.qc.c=
unavut :<br>Darlene Thompson<br>Community Access Program =
Administrator<br>Nunavut Department of =
Education/N-CAP<br>867-975-5631<br><a =
Canada<br><br>Lancement canadien de la campagne =AB Internet pour tous =
(TC) lance aujourd=92hui la campagne =AB Internet pour tous =BB [<a =
href=3D"http://www.internetpourtous.ca/">www.internetpourtous.ca</a>] =
qui a pour objectif de remettre =E0 l=92agenda du gouvernement f=E9d=E9ral=
 une strat=E9gie nationale en mati=E8re de technologies de l=92information=
 et des communications (TIC).<br><br>=AB Aucun des partis, dans la =
campagne =E9lectorale actuelle, ne fait mention de strat=E9gie nationale =
pour l=92usage de l=92Internet comme outil de d=E9veloppement =BB, fait =
remarquer Garth Graham, expert en strat=E9gie Internet et membre du =
conseil d'administration de T=E9l=E9Communaut=E9s Canada.<br><br>Une =
telle strat=E9gie devrait soulever la question de l=92inclusion =
num=E9rique, principale pr=E9occupation des membres de T=E9l=E9Communaut=E9=
s Canada qui appuient cette campagne. Autrefois chef de file de l=92acc=E8=
s =E0 Internet, le Canada fait maintenant pi=E8tre figure alors que =
l=92inclusion num=E9rique universelle promise n=92est toujours pas =
acquise. Selon une =E9tude de l=92OCDE (2007), le Canada a chut=E9 du =
deuxi=E8me au dixi=E8me rang mondial en terme de connectivit=E9 avec =
26.6 abonn=E9s au haut d=E9bit par 100 habitants.<br><br>=AB Nous avons =
d=92abord abord=E9 le projet d=92inclusion num=E9rique avec de grands =
objectifs, beaucoup de volont=E9 politique et d=92excellents programmes. =
C=92est d=E9sastreux d=92avoir laiss=E9 notre position de leader =
s=92amenuiser autant =BB, poursuit Gareth Shearman, pr=E9sident de =
TC.<br><br>Depuis les cinq derni=E8res ann=E9es, les programmes d=92aide =
aux populations potentiellement exclues de l=92usage des technologies, =
soutenus par le gouvernement f=E9d=E9ral, sont en constante lutte pour =
survivre avec une aide financi=E8re de plus en plus limit=E9e. Le =
Programme d=92acc=E8s communautaire (PAC) et son extension, l=92Initiative=
 jeunesse (IJ-PAC), sont =E0 la base d=92un immense r=E9seau national de =
centres communautaires qui aident chaque ann=E9e des centaines de =
milliers de personnes =E0 int=E9grer les nouvelles technologies dans =
leurs vies. Malgr=E9 les coupures, ces centres demeurent extr=EAmement =
actifs, preuve d=92un besoin r=E9el et de l=92engagement des groupes =
locaux et de nombreux b=E9n=E9voles.<br><br>Ces centres et leurs jeunes =
animateurs offrent des formations aux logiciels, de l=92aide =E0 la =
recherche d=92emploi, des programmes d=92initiation aux TIC, un acc=E8s =
=E0 plusieurs services communautaires et une opportunit=E9 de meilleure =
int=E9gration culturelle. S=92alliant =E9galement aux secteurs public et =
priv=E9 et =E0 du personnel exp=E9riment=E9, ils offrent plusieurs =
services compl=E9mentaires, du montage vid=E9o =E0 la cr=E9ation de =
sites Web. Ainsi, des milliers de jeunes stagiaires du projet IJ-PAC =
acqui=E8rent une exp=E9rience hors du commun qui leur permet de devenir =
des citoyens engag=E9s. Les =E9valuations tant internes qu=92externes de =
ces programmes les ont acclam=E9s et les consid=E8rent comme une =
r=E9ussite totale =E0 chaque ann=E9e.<br><br>Les appuis des secteurs =
public et priv=E9 fusent de toute part pour que soit dirig=E9e une =
partie des retomb=E9es de la r=E9cente vente aux ench=E8res de 4,2 =
milliards de dollars du spectre d=92ondes sans fil vers une strat=E9gie =
nationale en mati=E8re de TIC. =AB Les retomb=E9es inattendues de la =
vente aux ench=E8res constituent une occasion en or pour le pays de =
revenir dans la partie. =BB conclut le pr=E9sident de T=E9l=E9Communaut=E9=
s Canada.<br><br>La campagne =AB Internet pour tous =BB demande =E0 tous =
les candidats =E0 la gouvernance leur position par rapport =E0 cette =
question.<br><br>T=E9l=E9Communaut=E9s Canada [<a =
href=3D"http://www.tc.ca/">www.tc.ca</a>] est un r=E9seau de groupes qui =
appuient les milieux communautaires pour promouvoir les initiatives =
reli=E9es =E0 l=92appropriation des technologies de l=92information et =
des communications.<br><br>Pour plus d'informations contactez =
Canada<br>250-479-2851,&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"mailto:shearman@victoria.tc.ca">shearman@victoria.tc.ca</a><br><br=
Community Networks Association<br>604 483 3110<br><a =
Prebushewski<br>Executive Director<br>Thickwood Hills Business &amp; =
Learning Network<br>306 549-4726<br><a =
781-6937<br><a =
href=3D"mailto:cleader@mb.e-association.ca">cleader@mb.e-association.ca</a=
Learning Enrichment Foundation<br>416-760-2560<br><a =
 948-6644 poste 221<br><a =
href=3D"mailto:direction@communautique.qc.ca">direction@communautique.qc.c=
unavut :<br>Darlene Thompson<br>Community Access Program =
Administrator<br>Nunavut Department of =
Education/N-CAP<br>867-975-5631<br><a =
href=3D"mailto:DThompson@gov.nu.ca">DThompson@gov.nu.ca</a><br>- 30 =
0in; margin-left: 0in; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-size: 10.5pt; =

--Apple-Mail-108-208858570--