[Sican] Fwd: [Advisors] Mapping Canadians' Internet Access

Gareth Shearman shearman at victoria.tc.ca
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:56:37 -0700

--Apple-Mail-38--593942336

Here are some instructions on how to use the Industry Canada broadband =20=

mapping page.

Begin forwarded message:

http://www.speedtest.net/

> For those of you with iPhones, that page has a link to a free iPhone =20=

> Speedtest App that will let you run speedtests of the Rogers network =20=

> from anywhere at any time, a very sobering experience!
>
> The more Canadians we can get to provide their own location speed =20
> data, the more "accurate" information Industry Canada can obtain. We =20=

> don't want the government to JUST hear from the service providers. =20
> Please pass this information on to any organization or individual =20
> you think might be interested.
>
> ------------------------------

--Apple-Mail-38--593942336

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Here are some instructions on =
how to use the Industry Canada broadband mapping =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><font class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<br>Tell Them About Your Internet =
Access<br><br>As part of extensive mapping exercise, Industry Canada=92s =
Electronic Commerce Branch is currently inviting Canadians to tell them =
about their Internet access. &nbsp;They want to get a better idea of =
Internet speeds available across the country, and to understand the =
extent to which Canadians remain unserved or underserved. &nbsp;They are =
also asking Internet Service Providers to verify their =
coverage.<br><br>To see the current mapped broadband data and to provide =
information about the speed of access you are now receiving, first go =
to....<br><br>Broadband Internet Maps -Tell Us About Your Internet =
Access<br><a =
href=3D"http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/720.nsf/eng/home">http://www.ic.gc.ca=
that says, =93Feedback from Canadians.=94<br><br>That will take you to =
an interactive map containing the current information they have about =
ISPs in your census district. &nbsp;But it will also lead you to a =
=93feedback form=94 that will let you supply data on Internet access =
speeds at your own location.<br><br>Above the map, there=92s a box where =
you can supply your own current location by street address, city, =
province, or postal code. &nbsp;When you =93Search=94 on your location, =
you=92ll get a pop-up that shows your exact location and lets =
you:<br><br>=93View Summary Information / Submit =
Feedback=94<br><br>Clicking on that heading will take you to a =93Summary =
Information=94 page for your location. &nbsp;There=92s a box near the =
top of that page with a =93Feedback=94 link. Click =93Feedback=94 and =
fill out the =93Feedback Form for Canadians.=94 &nbsp;It=92s short and =
quick and contains only 5 questions:<br><br> &nbsp;&nbsp;1. This =
location is primarily a: Home? ... Business? ... Other?<br> =
&nbsp;&nbsp;2. Do you have Internet access: Yes? ... &nbsp;No? &nbsp;If =
no, why not? &nbsp;If yes, who provides your Internet service?<br> =
&nbsp;&nbsp;3. What type of Internet connection do you have?<br> =
&nbsp;&nbsp;4. Estimate your Internet speed by connecting to the =
following Web site. (Test your speed)<br> &nbsp;&nbsp;5. Would you like =
to share any additional information regarding your location or Internet =
service availability?<br><br>Question 4 provides a link to a Speed Test =
engine: http://www.speedtest.net/<br><br>For those of you with iPhones, =
that page has a link to a free iPhone Speedtest App that will let you =
run speedtests of the Rogers network from anywhere at any time, a very =
sobering experience!<br><br>The more Canadians we can get to provide =
their own location speed data, the more "accurate" information Industry =
Canada can obtain. We don't want the government to JUST hear from the =
service providers. Please pass this information on to any organization =
or individual you think might be =

--Apple-Mail-38--593942336--