[Advisors] Re: [NA-Discuss] The TLD-less NYC

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Fri, 02 Dec 2011 01:24:31 -0500

--------------090601000408090300020504

Evan,

When you say,

 >I'm right now just finding myself becoming increasingly cynical about
the social benefits of a glut of new gTLDs as I get more deeply involved
with ICANN. And while I hate being the downer in the room, TLDs will
cost plenty to apply for and even more to run. They will have their
benefits but should be extremely carefully considered and proponents
must go in eyes wide open.

I might agree.

But that has little to do with a city-TLD for New York's 19,000,000
residents. I think we need to unpack this TLD issue and look at the
different elements.

Tom

On 12/2/2011 1:10 AM, Thomas Lowenhaupt wrote:
> [...]
>>     folks in civil society who will have heard of NARALO etc.etc.
>>     which is dare I say, a self-selected nsubset of a subset of a
>>     subset...
>>

>> I would humbly disagree. ICANN At-Large has in some (but not all)
>> areas taken pains to be more than just civil society, and my own
>> involvement is evidence of that effort. My only previous governance
>> activity culminated in my group's opposition to the civil society
>> statement at WSIS.
>>
>> But i digress...
>>
>>     In Vancouver I could see for example the Vancouver Foundation,
>>     Children's Aid, the Vancouver School Board, the Vancouver Library
>>     and specifically the Carnegie Library (that deals with those with
>>     severe problems, the homeless etc.) as being folks I would be
>>     interested in consulting on a .vancouver and if we are talking
>>     about basic framework issues or decisions impacting on that I
>>     think that the mega equivalents might be useful as interlocutors.
>>

>> I guess.... but I question the end-game. The groups listed above
>> would (in my eyes at least) see zero added value in using *for
>> example) "www.library.vancouver" instead of the quite useful "vpl.ca
>> <http://vpl.ca>" used now.
>>
>> I still maintain that this ... ie, the DNS ... is little more than a
>> technically sophisticated directory. Creating more phonebooks doesn't
>> make people more interesting to call. Creating new domain names won't
>> make websites more interesting to visit (and in fact could just
>> become the source of new places for squatters and speculators to
>> plant a whole new set of "this space for sale" pages...)
>>
>> If someone wants to make a commercial venture out of a new directory,
>> it's their money to lose. As a taxpayer who's seen the inside of the
>> ICANN sausage factory, I'd be preferring that the half-million (at
>> least!) on startup cost be better spent on improved bus frequency or
>> more daycare slots. So long as there is space in .ca -- and,
>> generally, there is because of the residency requirements -- the need
>> for relief valves are far less than they are for, say, dot-com.
>>
>> Painting this as a community-involvement issue is IMO a smokescreen
>> to mask the utter unsustainability of most TLD proposals once the
>> emotional element (ie, the collective pride/ego in having "one's own"
>> TLD) is stripped away.
>>
>> In any case, what I say doesn't really matter beyond simply warning
>> that there be dragons here. If someone could make a case for any
>> Canadian city to have its own TLD I'm eager to hear it, and if
>> someone gets investors for one I'll wish them well. My concern comes
>> from anyone who doesn't believe in a TLD enough to cut into their own
>> budgets for it, and turns to philanthopists or the public purse to
>> pay for something that I believe is little more than an Internet
>> frill. If you're going to talk about bubbles and inclusivity, don't
>> stop at community groups, get involved anyone who's concerned about

  <head>
  </head>
    Evan,<br>
    When you say,<br>
    &gt;I'm right now just finding myself becoming increasingly cynical
    about the social benefits of a glut of new gTLDs as I get more
    deeply involved with ICANN. And while I hate being the downer in the
    room, TLDs will cost plenty to apply for and even more to run. They
    will have their benefits but should be extremely carefully
    considered and proponents must go in eyes wide open.<br>
    I might agree. <br>
    But that has little to do with a city-TLD for New York's 19,000,000
    residents. I think we need to unpack this TLD issue and look at the
    different elements. <br>
    Tom<br>
    On 12/2/2011 1:10 AM, Thomas Lowenhaupt wrote:
      type="cite">
      Evan,<br>
      Your response seems to focus on Vancouver and Canada. I'm
      interested in exploring the advantages a TLD might offer to the
      19,000,000 residents of the New York City region. Spend a few
      hours on our wiki. And think about our local needs, not just
      Canada. <br>
      Best,<br>
      Tom Lowenhaupt<br>
      On 12/1/2011 6:02 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
cite="mid:CAMguqh1ZHDPzwPPF1Fp+-YSHq1bP__k_+h3PdgeLQM2FFkdvNA@mail.gmail.com"
        type="cite">
          tucked away in a Gmail side folder. I wasn't deliberately
          staying silent.</div>
          questions about my positions on the "city TLD" issue, or
          others related. I'm right now just finding myself becoming
          increasingly cynical about the social benefits of a glut of
          new gTLDs as I get more deeply involved with ICANN. And while
          I hate being the downer in the room, TLDs will cost plenty to
          apply for and even more to run. They will have their benefits
          but should be extremely carefully considered and proponents
          must go in eyes wide open.</div>
          campaign for a .toronto I would be very strongly opposed if
          the effort was dependent *at all* on public funds (or even on
          traditional community funding sources such as the United Way).
          It has yet to be demonstrated to me what the value would be of
          using "<a moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
            href="http://www.blah.vancouver">www.blah.vancouver</a>" for
          a domain (as opposed to, say, "<a moz-do-not-send="true"
            href="http://blah.vancouver.ca">blah.vancouver.ca</a>").</div>
          gurstein <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:gurstein@gmail.com">gurstein@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">Well
            actually they do exist in something of a bubble i.e. those
            folks in civil society who will have heard of NARALO
            etc.etc. which is dare I say, a self-selected nsubset of a
            subset of a subset...<br>
            not all) areas taken pains to be more than just civil
            society, and my own involvement is evidence of that effort.
            My only previous governance activity culminated in my
            group's opposition to the civil society statement at WSIS.</div>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"> In
            Vancouver I could see for example the Vancouver Foundation,
            Children's Aid, the Vancouver School Board, the Vancouver
            Library and specifically the Carnegie Library (that deals
            with those with severe problems, the homeless etc.) as being
            folks I would be interested in consulting on a .vancouver
            and if we are talking about basic framework issues or
            decisions impacting on that I think that the mega
            equivalents might be useful as interlocutors.<br>
            listed above would (in my eyes at least) see zero added
            value in using *for example) "<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
              href="http://www.library.vancouver">www.library.vancouver</a>"
            instead of the quite useful "<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="http://vpl.ca">vpl.ca</a>" used now.</div>
            more than a technically sophisticated directory. Creating
            more phonebooks doesn't make people more interesting to
            call. Creating new domain names won't make websites more
            interesting to visit (and in fact could just become the
            source of new places for squatters and speculators to plant
            a whole new set of "this space for sale" pages...)</div>
            new directory, it's their money to lose. As a taxpayer who's
            seen the inside of the ICANN sausage factory, I'd be
            preferring that the half-million (at least!) on startup cost
            be better spent on improved bus frequency or more daycare
            slots. So long as there is space in .ca -- and, generally,
            there is because of the residency requirements -- the need
            for relief valves are far less than they are for, say,
            dot-com.</div>
            smokescreen to mask the utter unsustainability of most TLD
            proposals once the emotional element (ie, the collective
            pride/ego in having "one's own" TLD) is stripped away.</div>
            simply warning that there be dragons here. If someone could
            make a case for any Canadian city to have its own TLD I'm
            eager to hear it, and if someone gets investors for one I'll
            wish them well. My concern comes from anyone who doesn't
            believe in a TLD enough to cut into their own budgets for
            it, and turns to philanthopists or the public purse to pay
            for something that I believe is little more than an Internet
            frill. If you're going to talk about bubbles and
            inclusivity, don't stop at community groups, get involved
            anyone who's concerned about civic spending priorioties.</div>

--------------090601000408090300020504--