[Advisors] Teleconference -- Mar. 13

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:32:51 -0800

Also, sorry I missed the call... I'm still working with very weird (jet
lagged) hours.

I think the foundation idea is a good one but if I recall from some =
earlier
discussions with my accountant re: setting up a not-for-profit (not the =
same
thing I know) the set-up process itself can be very very expensive.

A few other thoughts on this going forward... It might be a good idea to =
at
least have a back of the envelope idea of the quite specific goals of =
the
foundation--to support CAP (or whatever) sites as they now are? To =
support
the provision of Internet service to underserviced areas/populations? =
Other?

...and of the amount of funding one is looking for... At current =
interest
rates to live off the interest of a (Foundation) endowment would require =
horrendous amount of contributed capital (think returns of 1.5 to 2%).

But getting some sort of off-set as for example from the sale (lease) of
spectrum would probably cover it.

Another area to explore is under the area of Universal Service Funds
http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/ovum.pdf/$FILE/ovum.pdf =
(this
study is more than 10 years old and deals with telephony but I got it =
off
the ic.gc site and it seems to be the most current document available... =
The
issue of shifting Universal Service funding/obligations over to the =
Internet
and more specifically Broadband is a very live one internationally.

A major major problem though is that looking in any reasonable depth at =
any
of the options is a very time consuming and expensive (and in some cases
quite "technical" process requiring professional advice from lawyers,
accountants etc.etc.=20

To proceed it may be necessary to figure out how to get funding to start
that process, which in the current political climate may in itself be a
significant effort.

Best,=20