[Advisors] news from N.S. & Ontario

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:30:28 -0500

Hi folks.  I heard from Eric Stackhouse in Nova Scotia.  Their
organization is writing to Peter Mackay and Eric will try to meet
with Mackay over the holidays.  But Mackay has noted before that IC
doesn't see the fit with CAP anymore -- same argument we got in our
meeting with IC.  It's going to be tough going to keep the program
alive another year.  On the positive side, N.S. has good support from
their provincial partner (Economic and Rural Development and Tourism)
and strong political support at the MLA level.

I also heard from Nora Fountain who had a quick chat with Tony
Clement.  She was met with the suggestion that CAP had nothing to do
with the federal government now -- that it was all handled by
libraries. Although she pointed out to him that even his closest site
was not a library site,  it was not a situation in which she could
keep pressing the point.  But she did tell him that we
(Telecommunities Canada) would be in touch to talk about the need for
a nation-wide champion. She said he was open to hearing more.  So,
since Norah has opened that door, I guess we should walk through it.

On the library issue, we need to go to any meeting with any minister
and make it clear in any letters any of us write, that the "libraries
are taking care of it" line is really misleading.  We will have to
recover the statistics we put together during the last crisis and
share them around again.  One I remember clearly was that this line
of reasoning would wipe out all sites in PEI.

Marita