[Advisors] PAC is over but not CAP-Y

James Van Leeuwen jvl at ventus.ca
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 10:22:18 -0600

The Conservatives won their mandate on a two-plank platform of low taxes =
and getting tough on crime.

They are appealing directly to the anxieties of an aging population, and =
this is their entire political franchise.=20

So play where the puck is.

All site coordinators should be reaching out to their local press to =
explain the economic and social impacts of this decision.

TC can make it easy for them by laying out the economic and social =
impacts in the most compelling way.=20

What are the real and potential impacts?

I'm hardly the expert, but I've recently learned of a First Nation =
community in northeastern Alberta where youth are breaking into school =
to access the Internet.

It's the only access solution they can afford, as there is no CAP site =
in their community.

What are the potential implications for Joe citizen?=20

Is somebody thinking of breaking into their home, business or workplace =
to access the Internet?

This is a conclusion many people will draw for themselves... it doesn't =
need to be spelled out.

It only takes two letters or phone calls to an MP for them to flag an =
issue as worthy of their attention.

If every MP in the country with a CAP site in their riding were making =
inquiries of the Industry Minister, they might actually be compelled to =
respond. =20

What might compel CAP site users and non-users alike to reach out to =
their MPs?

JvL

On 2012-04-06, at 6:36 AM, David Murdoch wrote:

> Some consolidated response to this unfortunate - but not unforseen -
> news would seem to me to be a job for TC.
>=20
> What should it be?
>=20
> David
>=20
> 2012/4/5 Marita Moll <mmoll@ca.inter.net>:
>> Translation of Monique's report:
>>=20
>> We have received news to the effect that the CAP program is =
terminated.  It
>> is considered to have achieved it's goals in the current context of
>> balancing the budget.
>>=20
>> However, CAP-YI will be continued and CAP sites will continue to be
>> recognized as workplaces to offer employment experience to youth and =
provide
>> a transition to the labour market.
>>=20
>> We are awaiting the necessary forms.
>>=20
>> I take this occasion to wish you all a Happy Easter
>>=20
>> Monique Chartrand
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> At 09:09 PM 05/04/2012, Monique Chartrand wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Bonjour =E0 vous,
>>>=20
>>> Nous avons re=E7u la nouvelle =E0 l'effet que le Programme d'acc=E8s
>>> communautaire (PAC) d'industrie Canada est termin=E9, consid=E9r=E9 =
avoir atteint
>>> ses objectifs en raison de la recherche d'=E9quilibre budg=E9taire.
>>>=20
>>> Par contre, on nous annonce la poursuite de l'IJ-PAC (PAC-Y) et le =
fait
>>> que les CACI (CAP site) demeureront admissibles, afin d'offrir des
>>> opportunit=E9s d'exp=E9rience d'emploi aux jeunes pour leur fournir =
des
>>> comp=E9tences essentielles vers une transition sur le march=E9 du =
travail.
>>>=20
>>> Nous aurons sous peu les modalit=E9s pr=E9vues.
>>>=20
>>> J'en profite pour vous souhaiter de Joyeuses P=E2ques, Happy Easter,
>>>=20
>>> Monique
>>>=20
>>>=20