[Advisors] PAC is over but not CAP-Y

James Van Leeuwen jvl at dusk.ca
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 21:40:13 -0600

Dead horse =3D Conservative government... not CAP

On 2012-04-06, at 8:31 PM, Dana Perry wrote:

> With all due respect as a coordinator for the CAP program in NS it is =
not a "dead horse". Support youth absolutely...but to turn our back on =
the program is ludicrous and cowardly. The program I support and promote =
is forward thinking and innovative...which is more than I can allow the =
bureaucrats.  I read some of your other posts and thought them to be =
quite good. This one...not so much.
>=20
> Quoting James Van Leeuwen <jvl@dusk.ca>:
>=20
>> =46rom here on, I think TC should focus almost entirely on Canada's =
youth.
>>=20
>>=20
>> I've pointed out that the Conservative political franchise is built =
around the insecurities of Canada's predominantly self-interested senior =
generations.
>>=20
>> There is great political strength in their numbers, but regrettably - =
with notable exceptions - there is far less strength in their political =
character.
>>=20
>> Frankly, I would not envy the legacy that Canada's senior generations =
are now creating for themselves.
>>=20
>>=20
>> Recognize this announcement and the craven timing of its delivery for =
what it truly is.
>>=20
>> It is a statement of indifference to the needs and interests of our =
youth and underclass.
>>=20
>> Continued support for CAP-YI is but a fig leaf.
>>=20
>> The needs and interests of youth are at best an afterthought to this =
government, and to most older Canadians.
>>=20
>> Even if the government could be compelled to restore CAP funding, it =
would not change this deeper reality.
>>=20
>> They have offered no credible or compelling vision for the nation's =
future, and I believe it is futile to engage them in this context.
>>=20
>>=20
>> We are all very busy people.
>>=20
>> Let's stop flogging nearly-dead horses, and invest where there is =
energy, opportunity and genuine hope.
>>=20
>> If Canada's youth are being left to their own devices, let's help =
them put their devices to the best possible use.
>>=20
>> Let's engage them and support them in painting and pursuing a =
meaningful vision that is all about their future, and creating a legacy =
that is worth celebrating.
>>=20
>>=20
>> We might start by bringing some active and able youth on to the TC =
Board and Advisory committees.
>>=20
>>=20
>> JvL
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> On 2012-04-06, at 10:22 AM, James Van Leeuwen wrote:
>>=20
>>> The Conservatives won their mandate on a two-plank platform of low =
taxes and getting tough on crime.
>>>=20
>>> They are appealing directly to the anxieties of an aging population, =
and this is their entire political franchise.
>>>=20
>>> So play where the puck is.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> All site coordinators should be reaching out to their local press to =
explain the economic and social impacts of this decision.
>>>=20
>>> TC can make it easy for them by laying out the economic and social =
impacts in the most compelling way.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> What are the real and potential impacts?
>>>=20
>>> I'm hardly the expert, but I've recently learned of a First Nation =
community in northeastern Alberta where youth are breaking into school =
to access the Internet.
>>>=20
>>> It's the only access solution they can afford, as there is no CAP =
site in their community.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> What are the potential implications for Joe citizen?
>>>=20
>>> Is somebody thinking of breaking into their home, business or =
workplace to access the Internet?
>>>=20
>>> This is a conclusion many people will draw for themselves... it =
doesn't need to be spelled out.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> It only takes two letters or phone calls to an MP for them to flag =
an issue as worthy of their attention.
>>>=20
>>> If every MP in the country with a CAP site in their riding were =
making inquiries of the Industry Minister, they might actually be =
compelled to respond.
>>>=20
>>> What might compel CAP site users and non-users alike to reach out to =
their MPs?
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> JvL
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> On 2012-04-06, at 6:36 AM, David Murdoch wrote:
>>>=20

Easter,
<http://ca.linkedin.com/in/moniquechartrand>http://ca.linkedin.com/in/moni=
quechartrand
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Dana Perry
> Regional Coordinator
> Association of Western Valley C@P Sites
> 26 Bay Road, PO B0x 640
> Bridgetown, Nova Scotia
> B0S 1C0
>=20
> (902) 665-2995 Extension 230(office)
> (902) 665-4899(fax)
> www.awvcaps.ca
> awvcscor@valleylibrary.ca
>=20
> CONFIDENTIALITY/PRIVACY NOTE: The information contained in this email =
is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the =
use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this =
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any =
use, dissemination, distribution, or copy of this email is strictly =
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify our =
office immediately.
>=20
> The transmission and/or forwarding of this email information by the =
Association of Western Valley C@P Sites does not in any way imply an =
endorsement or recommendation of any programs, processes or services and =
does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the =
accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information contained in =
this email.