[Advisors] Re: [CommunityInformaticsCanada] Canadian Government Action Plan for Open Government Data

Gary Kenward GaryKenward at eastlink.ca
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 15:07:52 -0300

--B_3417174473_5954327

For me, the arguments put forth supporting the value of CAP would have more
import if they were backed with data on actual usage. I think empirical
information would be very useful in influencing the government bureaucracy
and most politicians.
However, as they have demonstrated repeatedly by their actions, the Harper
government doesn=B9t trust subject matter experts or real data, so I=B9m not
sure if such information would have been of much use.

At this point, the availability of usage data is moot, but perhaps for
future reference it is worth observing that it is very simple to instrument
a computer or a network to gather data on web browsing usage (which account=
for most, if not all of public terminal access). The data can be filtered t=
eliminate private information and secured so that only the system
administrator has access.

Such information would not only be useful in supporting proposals for
government funding, it could also be used to better tailor the services
provided at a CAP site (or equivalent).

Regards,
Gary=20

The only realistic goals are ones that can be measured, otherwise how would
one ever know that progress has been made?

On 12.04.13 11:21 AM, "Duncan Sanderson" <duncan_sanderson@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> =20
> I think the Nova Scotia CAP group has an interesting and useful observati=
on
> here.
> =20
>  "As far as prioritizing expenditures" Stackhouse continues, "the Federal
> Government saved billions in civil service salaries when it transferred a=
lmost
> all of its services from in-person to online; this was successful due in =
no
> small part to the minor amount of money provided to CAP. We act as the lo=
cal
> access point where people can get help. Government web sites still say, i=
f you
> need access or assistance, go to a CAP site. "
> =20
> If someone has documented the money the government may have saved through=
 CAP
> (perhaps
> by not having their own support services for citizens), a link to this wo=
uld
> be useful and=20
> this should be cited more often.
> =20
> If it hasn't been studied, perhaps a good term or thesis project ...
> =20
> There certainly seems to be a contraction with "an open and responsive
> government", the spin put forward by
> the current government.
> =20
> - Duncan Sanderson
>=20
>>  =20
>> =20
>> =20
>>  =20

Gary Kenward

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL

--B_3417174473_5954327

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Advisors] Re: [CommunityInformaticsCanada] Canadian Government =
Action Plan for Open Government Data</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt=
'>For me, the arguments put forth supporting the value of CAP would have mor=
e import if they were backed with data on actual usage. I think empirical in=
formation would be very useful in influencing the government bureaucracy and=
 most politicians.<BR>
However, as they have demonstrated repeatedly by their actions, the Harper =
government doesn&#8217;t trust subject matter experts or real data, so I&#82=
17;m not sure if such information would have been of much use.<BR>
<BR>
At this point, the availability of usage data is moot, but perhaps for futu=
re reference it is worth observing that it is very simple to instrument a co=
mputer or a network to gather data on web browsing usage (which accounts for=
 most, if not all of public terminal access). The data can be filtered to el=
iminate private information and secured so that only the system administrato=
r has access.<BR>
<BR>
Such information would not only be useful in supporting proposals for gover=
nment funding, it could also be used to better tailor the services provided =
at a CAP site (or equivalent).<BR>
<BR>
Regards,<BR>
Gary <BR>
<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%">The only realistic goals are ones tha=
t can be measured, otherwise how would one ever know that progress has been =
made?<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 12.04.13 11:21 AM, &quot;Duncan Sanderson&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"duncan_sand=
erson@yahoo.ca">duncan_sanderson@yahoo.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><FONT FACE=3D"Times Ne=
w Roman"> <BR>
I think the Nova Scotia CAP group has an interesting and useful observation=
 here.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><SPAN STYLE=
=3D'font-size:14pt'>&quot;As far as prioritizing expenditures&quot; Stackhouse=
 continues, &quot;the Federal Government saved billions in civil service sal=
aries when it transferred almost all of its services from in-person to onlin=
e; this was successful due in no small part to the minor amount of money pro=
vided to CAP. We act as the local access point where people can get help. Go=
vernment web sites still say, if you need access or assistance, go to a CAP =
site. &quot;<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'> <BR>
If someone has documented the money the government may have saved through C=
AP (perhaps<BR>
by not having their own support services for citizens), a link to this woul=
d be useful and <BR>
this should be cited more often.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
If it hasn't been studied, perhaps a good term or thesis project ...<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
There certainly seems to be a contraction with &quot;an open and responsive=
 government&quot;, the spin put forward by<BR>
the current government.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
- Duncan Sanderson<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-si=
ze:12pt'> &nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;</SPAN></FONT><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;<B>From:</B> michael gurstein &lt;<a href=3D"gurstein@gmail.com">=
gurstein@gmail.com</a>&gt;<BR>
&nbsp;<B>To:</B> <a href=3D"cracin-canada@vancouvercommunity.net">cracin-cana=
da@vancouvercommunity.net</a>; <a href=3D"advisors@tc.ca">advisors@tc.ca</a>; =
'civicaccess discuss' &lt;<a href=3D"civicaccess-discuss@civicaccess.ca">civic=
access-discuss@civicaccess.ca</a>&gt; <BR>
&nbsp;<B>Sent:</B> Friday, April 13, 2012 12:02:46 AM<BR>
&nbsp;<B>Subject:</B> [CommunityInformaticsCanada] Canadian Government Acti=
on Plan for Open Government Data<BR>
&nbsp;</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman"> <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
pen-ouvert/ap-pa01-eng.asp</a><BR>
<BR>
This seems to me to be a reasonable set of first steps but the problem is<B=

when this is combined with the elimination of the Community Access Program<=

(see attached) a significant proportion of the population (those without<BR=

personal access to the Internet) will be excluded from having easy low cost=
<BR>
access to this data/information.<BR>
<BR>
M<BR>
<BR>
About the CRACIN Discussion Mailing List<BR>
cracin-canada @ vancouvercommunity.net<BR>
Purpose: news + discussion related directly to CRACIN research <BR>
Members: Core Research Team + graduate students + others who are (becoming)=
 directly involved with CRACIN research activities (e.g. other government pa=
rtners, private sector partners, and those invited based on their expression=
 of interest). It is the main ongoing forum for CRACIN research discussion.<=

<BR>
List info and admin: <a href=3D"http://vancouvercommunity.net/lists">http://v=
ancouvercommunity.net/lists</a><BR>
CRACIN home page: <a href=3D"http://www.cracin.ca">http://www.cracin.ca</a> <=

<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><FONT FACE=3D"Times N=
ew Roman"> &nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><BR>
</FONT></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><FONT FACE=3D"Calibri=
, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080"><FONT FACE=3D"Skia, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><=

<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Skia, Verda=
na, Helvetica, Arial"><FONT COLOR=3D"#0A0032">Gary Kenward<BR>
</FONT></FONT></SPAN><FONT COLOR=3D"#300094"><FONT SIZE=3D"1"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic=
 Sans MS"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:8pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"1"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:8pt'><FON=
T COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><FONT FACE=3D"Engravers MT">THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THI=
S DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL</FONT></FONT></SPAN></FONT><FONT FACE=
=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3417174473_5954327--