[Advisors] teleconference -- draft notes

Michael Corbett Michael.Corbett at cannor.gc.ca
Thu, 26 Apr 2012 14:10:05 -0400

--=__Part5C72876D.2__=

--=__Part5C72876D.3__=

As the saying goes: if you're dealt lemons - make lemonade.
=20
CAP as we know it is dead. So our task is to design a new CAP (and start =
with a new name). The new parameters that must be included are those that =
the government will feel comfortable recognizing as important, critical, =
deliverable and will generate votes.
=20
Some of the things that are in the news these days are jobs, moving folks =
to where the jobs are, supplying the job market with appropriate labour, =
basic education upgrades (not necessarily grade 12 or GEDs but education , =
literacy and math, that will get folks into the labour force or advance =
them. This is all economic development.
=20
Also giving small business the skills to compete and expand and employ.
=20
The concept of giving people access to gov't services is nice as CAP has =
delivered it but now it has to be shown how it will be cost efficient, =
effective, and relieve the strain on the centres (don't know how truthful =
that last point is).
=20
The new CAP must show how it contributes directly currently and in the =
short term to the economy, How it is part of the solution and can supply =
some of the tools for growth and broaden the economic base at the =
community and regional and territorial/provincial and national levels. =
Economies of scale. And, as was said during the call yesterday, having =
some private sector partners is always advantageous.
=20
James is right on below - its about jobs, the economy, and growth.
=20
Michael C