[Advisors] CIRA elections -- member slate

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 09:31:19 -0700

On 2012-08-15, at 8:58 AM, Marita Moll wrote:
> Tell me what you think about supporting him.  Perhaps there are some =
things we would like to see added to this platform in return.

Can you help me understand what steps you were hoping to see CIRA take =
towards community driven broadband? When I talk about it as part of my =
campaign, I'd like to be really clear on some concrete steps CIRA can =
take towards facilitating and supporting this type of development.

Because of the dominance of a "market-based approach" to "telecom" =
policy in Canada, the relationship of the Internet's future to questions =
of social development policy has been eliminated from public policy =
discussion in Canada.  Lots of people are fully aware that they risk =
seriously pissing people off by making that point.  McArthur's "hard" =
question raises a red flag for me.  As a "public interest" candidate =
can/should he answer it himself and is he just fishing to see what we =
say?  Or is he making the point that our interests aren't sufficiently =
"registration" oriented to get us elected in that constituency?

By saying as follows, CIRA itself seems to be a bit more open to =93our=94=
 issues and concerns than he is:
> The CIF process also revealed an emerging consensus that there is a =
need for a public forum where all stakeholders can help explore and =
articulate the public interest in the future development and use of the =
Internet in Canada - by considering its impacts; discussing the =
opportunities and challenges they present; identifying issues requiring =
action by stakeholders in government, the private sector, and civil =
society, and raising awareness of these issues among decision-makers and =
the general public in Canada and internationally.=94 =
http://cira.ca/assets/Documents/Publications/wp-InternetCIF-CanadaFuture.p=
df

I'd be more convinced if he answered along the lines of Mike's =
"mechanisms" workshop at IGF.

Your question re Heather is important, because she's been able to foster =
discussions of the Internet's future in Canada more effectively than we =
have.  CIRA's forum initiative is important.  Without getting to the =
table at CIRA, TC lacks an important element that is implicit in our =
ICANN/ALAC/NARALO responsibilities to the Canadian constituency we claim =
we represent. =20

GG